PDA

View Full Version : newbie. Our first pool, Need info on sand filter

rnjng
06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
We bought a house that has a 24'X48" above ground pool. First off, has anyone heard of columbia sand filters? None of the pool supply stores in my area deal with this manf. What should the pressure of the filter be at normal circulation. What is normal maintenance for this type of filter. Can I run this type of filter 24/7 to clear up cloudy water????

duraleigh
06-25-2006, 11:04 PM
What should the pressure of the filter be at normal circulation.
Depends on your pool. Most systems run in the range of 10-22psi

What is normal maintenance for this type of filter.
Usually nothing except an occasional backwash.

Can I run this type of filter 24/7 to clear up cloudy water????
You can run it 24/7 but it probably won't clear your pool....You've probably got some chemistry issues causing the cloudiness. To keep us all from just guessing, post a complete set of test results for:
FC
CC
pH
Alk
CYA

With those results, you'll get lot's of solid advice on clearing your pool.

rnjng
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
thanks fo the response, like i said this is our first pool, terminology is minimal. I bought a test kit that tests for Cl and Ph. the Ph did not change it remaind clear. the Cl was at the lowest color on the chart. So none the less, it needs chem. obviously. I'm not sure what you mean by test FC, Alk, CYA. what kind of test kit do I need?

duraleigh
06-27-2006, 11:33 AM
FC-Free Chlorine
CC-combined chloramines
Alk-Alalinity
CYA-Cyanuric acid or stabilizer

My first step would be to take a sample to a pool store that will test those things for you and post back your results.

Secondly, read everything you can on the forum...particulary ALL the stickies at the top of the Chlorine forum and Pool Chemistry forum. It'll answer many questions and create many more.

Post back with those test results and we'll all help get your water cleared up.

rnjng
06-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Had water tested they said ph is vry low and to add 1 1/2 pounds of soda ash Before anthing else. What do you think???

duraleigh
06-28-2006, 07:09 PM
We would need numbered test results to offer good advice, otherwise, we're simply taking wild guesses.

rnjng
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM
The girl who tested the water was new or something, she said that the water just turned "pink?". I guess there was no color to match that on the chart??? So she asked someone what I should do, cause she had not seen that result before. So the advice was 1 1/2 soda ash.

Watermom
06-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Go to Walmart and buy the 5-way drops based kit they sell for around $13 and then test your water yourself and post your results. We really need some numbers to be able to help. While you are at Walmart, buy some 20 Mule Team Borax which you can find in the laundry detergent aisle. We prefer to use that to raise ph instead of soda ash. Also, pick up several jugs of plain, unscented bleach. Generic Walmart Ultra brand is fine.

rnjng
06-29-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a 2way test kit test cl and ph, ph was yellow, so lower than 6.8 . Cl stayed clear.

Watermom
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
If your ph is below 6.8, that is a very big concern. Get some Borax and add a half a box slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Then let it circulate for 3 or 4 hours, then retest ph, and add more Borax until you get it to 7.4-7.6. Also, add 6 quarts (1.5 gallons) of plain, unscented bleach to the skimmer - again while the pump is running. It is OK to add the bleach right after you add the Borax.

That is just a start. We really need more testing results to really be able to help with your problem. Get a better test kit. At the very least, the 5-way test kit from Walmart. We need more than just ph and cl readings to be able to help you much.

rnjng
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Here are some #'s from my 5 way test kit.:confused:

cl looked lighter than .5
ph was lighter than 6.8
alk was 10
and hard water was 10

Watermom
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
You still out there? Post current readings and an update on your situation if you still need help.

rnjng
07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
These results are from this morning 7/3/06. 5 way drop test kit.

cl/br lower than .5/1
ph lower than 6.8
alk 20
hardness no change after addin 6 drops
cya 85

rnjng
07-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Whats next, add borax and bleach until these #'s rise? And can I add these while ity is raining?

rnjng
07-03-2006, 11:04 PM
:mad: Ok, the filter took a dump. :mad: it was leaking from the valve, when I first hooked everything up to try to figure out how to get the water ready. So I got online and found the valve clamp that I needed to fix the leak, it worked great till a few days ago, then today I took it apart to clean and relube the gasket, and the NEW clamp snapped! I'm not going to mess with this filter any more. There arent any supply stores in this area that deal with columbia sand filters. So we will wait and shop around the local stores for a new filter. In the mean time what should I do so the water does not turn green or get cloudy???

rbonin
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Just saw that this thread stalled. If I understand correctly, your filter is leaking so you cannot circulate water and you are planning to replace the filter.

But to add borax and clorox and avoid nasty water, you need circulation. Do you have a small sump pump by chance? I got a Little Giant submersible pump at the pool store for about $75 and it is a good investment (Lowes and HD have them too). I use it all the time. You can use it with a garden hose to get some circulation going in your pool. Put the pump in the shallow end and run the hose to the deep end - run it 7x24.

Get your pH and free CL up and post back. Good luck.

~Rick~

rnjng
07-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Thnaks for the reply, It just dawned on me last night...Can I circulate with the filter pump??? Is there a way to bypass the filter with the hoses to atleast get the water circulating? The Filter itself is no good to me right now. the clamp that holds the valve on is broken.