PDA

View Full Version : Question about Installer / Permit

kevkline
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I recently bought a 15 X 30 Esther Williams above ground pool and am planning on having it installed "professionally". However, my issue is that I can not find any installers that are willing to pull the permit for it. The company I bought the pool from (reputable) has given me a list of installers which seem to have ample experience, references, etc. and give written warranties up to two years. However, when I called the city, they "strongly" suggested that I not pull the permit myself and find someone that will. Anyone's thoughts on what to do? If I think I can trust the installer, pull the permit myself?

kaybinster
04-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Not sure why it matters who "pulls" the permit. Where I live a contract may take out a permit for a homeowner, but it is ultimately the homeowners responsibility to have the permit. Before the town will sign off they will inspect the work, and by law you are not allowed to pay a contractor the final payment until you have an approved inspection.

Every town is different. Where we are you may not have a pool on the side of your house - only the back. The law is written that the front of the pool may be no closer to the street that the back of your house.

b2001
04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Where I live a contract may take out a permit for a homeowner, but it is ultimately the homeowners responsibility to have the permit. Before the town will sign off they will inspect the work, and by law you are not allowed to pay a contractor the final payment until you have an approved inspection.

I agree. I ended up getting both the construction and electrical permits for my pool.

My experience is that if contractors are unwilling to "pull" permits, it's usually because they have difficulty with meeting some part of the code requirements - although they might also be trying to avoid the permit fee (I can't remember what the fees were, so I'm not sure how valid this is). If you haven't, you might investigate further what the particular issues the contractors have.

slowtan
04-16-2006, 09:47 AM
like everyone has stated it depends on the installer and the dealer.

One pool dealer told me I didn't need a permit because it is an above ground and can be taken down but another said I did need one if I was going to have electrical and water run to it. I don't have either water or electrical run to my pool. Filled w/ a garden hose and pumps are on a timer that is connected to an electrical cord that goes to my shed. The only thing I remember was the pool had to be 4 ft away from any sold surface (ex , fence , house , shed , patio) and it had to be 3 ft away from any easmant (plumbing line or city lines that they may need access to). My pool is about 3.5 ft from my fence and doesn't go over any easements but I never got a permit. The value of my house will go up and so will taxes. I remember that when I re-did my porch in my front yard.

hrsdennis
04-16-2006, 10:09 PM
In the area I work in, Phx, Az. Very few permits are required. When the customer feels they should get one I let them pull it. My feeling is, I do not do the electrical run or the safety fencing that is usually required. I just install the pool. Therefore the homeowner is the general contractor and I am just a sub. I install the pool where they tell me to. The electrical, fencing and setbacks are their concern.

For triple the cost, or better, I could easily become the prime contractor and do it all. I just choose to do what I do best, install the pools.

Later, Dennis

kaybinster
04-17-2006, 10:38 AM
If you care check your local codes, where I am permits are required for any pool -- even a little tiny thing for a three year old!

matt4x4
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Up here, an A/G is also not considered a permanent structure and therefore does not require a permit, if you pour a slab, or anything else semi permanent you do need a permit.