PDA

View Full Version : Above Vs Inground Filter system

sock monkey
06-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm almost at the end of my dilemma, but still a bit confused.

The Laser (model 250L) sand filter I am looking into has a high gpm capacity (about 75) and holds 350lbs of sand. It is paired with a Hayward pump (1hp motor, 3450rpm, 115v)

I need this for use with my 18X36 vinyl lined inground pool.
The numbers seem right to me...BUT...this pool filter is made for "above ground pools" from what I can tell.

What is the difference? If the filter pushes 75 gallons per minute, does it matter if the pool is above, or inground? Are the pumps specific too?

Will this work for an inground pool? Thanks much for any insight anyone can offer.

Waterworks
06-25-2006, 04:54 PM
A sand filter is a sand filter, whether it's above or in ground. Sand filters are made to take a certain amount of flow (in your case 75 gpm). What you want is a pump that will push less water than your filter is rated for. This will allow the filter to operate properly, filter better and cost you less electricity with the pump.
Above ground pumps probably won't on in ground pools, but in ground pumps will work on above ground pools. The difference is that IG pumps will pull water from below to prime itself, where the AG pump is made to have a flooded suction.
My recommendation would be the Laser 250 filter with a 3/4 HP IG pump.

Brad
www.waterworkspools.com

sock monkey
06-25-2006, 05:50 PM
WOW-that helps SO much! Thank you.

CarlD
06-25-2006, 05:59 PM
It depends on the pump. Hayward makes a 1hp Superpump that's for IG pools. It's also what's called "full-rated". It will not only be more than adequate with your pool, it won't over-stress your filter.

But there's even better--they make it as a 2 speed! I have the 2 speed version and I will NEVER have a single speed again! It's worth EVERY DIME, and 99% of the time you can run it on low and save electric $$$ and it's super-quiet. I run it with a 200# sand pump so yours will EASILY accomodate it. I do believe that the major difference in sand filters seems to be that top-mount are for A/G and side-mount for I/G....That's where the 6-way valve and fittings go.

sock monkey
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok, so from what I understand, the filter WILL work, the pump may or may not work...I do have the specs for the motor, but it doesn't look like I have the specs for the pump itself I think. I guess i do not know what kind of pump it is.

Here's a pic of the Jacuzzi filter (350 lb sand capacity, 71-80 GPM) w/ hayward i hp pump (I suppose you can't tell from looking at it if the pump will work w/ an inground or not?)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/skinandink/poolfilterjac.jpg

Here's a pic of a hayward s220t model sand filter (52 GjPM)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/skinandink/poolfilterhay.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/skinandink/poolfilterhay2.jpg

They both seem to be top valve (I think)....they should both work fine for my pool from what I understand. The hayward is specifically made for i/g, the Jacuzzi is not..but the Jacuzzi has a higher GPM. Should I assume the jacuzzi is a better (ei: bigger) filter for my pool?

I have a hayward sp15751610 pump w/ 3/4 hp motor. Is this ok for inground use?

Again, thanks so much...I would be lost without the good advice!

Rangeball
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I have a Pentair Dynamo on my 16x32' IG 21,200 gal pool. It was with the house when I bought it 12 years ago, and when it went bad, the pool store recommended another one. It's for AG pools.

It will not prime itself if the skimmer basket is empty. I need to manually add water, then turn the pump on and it primes and runs within 30 seconds, usually. Once running, it pumps fine and provides adequate circulation, as long as go the skimmer and main drain valves are open. If the skimmer is closed, it has problems pulling from the main drain only.

When it goes bad, I do intend to replace it with a self priming IG pump, probably a Pentair two speed whisper flow.

CarlD
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
If that's a Hayward pump in the pic, I'm 99% sure that's an AG pump.

sock monkey
06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Boy, every small step of renovating a pool on a budget has been taxing...I'll be glad when this part is over. Thanks, everyone, for helping me get through this.