PDA

View Full Version : Ecomatic Salt System..

Phillbo
04-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Anyone have any experience with them ? 21K pool and looking to use the ESC36 rated up to 40K gallons.

Whats the feed back in the industry ?

PoolDoc
04-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Don't ask for feedback from Ecomatic's competitors -- I pretty much won't allow them to do that. That sort of response has led to 'trash-talking' on other forums.

But, I can tell you my opinion.

Any company that pitches its product by misrepresenting it as more 'natural', more 'eco-friendly' or 'chemical-free', when what's being sold is a system that puts you in the chemical manufacturing business*, is a company whose statements can't be trusted! If you want to buy from a company like that, be my guest!

Ben

PoolDoc / PoolForum / PoolSolutions

* SWG's manufacture chlorine gas, which is immediately dissolved in pool water.

Phillbo
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I guess I hit a nerve .. other than marketing BS , is it a good system? I've had a couple different pool guys tell me they have good luck with them and the cells last longer than most.

Personally I've never even seen their marketing so I have never heard any claims of being pure etc...

I was not aware this site had competition, I'll delete my request for a fair opinion of the mechanics of the system if it will cause unrest ...

SJohnson
04-06-2006, 10:04 PM
You didn't hit a nerve . . . That's just Ben's way. We depend on him to keep this board free of junk and marketing statements. The other board is full of that stuff . . . Anyway, I just took a look at their website and I have to tell you, they aren't much more misleading about their product than any of the other salt system manufacturers, the stress on natural, etc, is a little annoying, but it seems to be pretty standard stuff for SWC marketing. The pool industry in general is full of misinformation. For instance, SWC industry claim to put an end to green hair when green hair has nothing to do with chlorine and everything to do with copper. And putting an end to chlorine smell and eye irritation is also misleading. It's insulting at best . . . The ecomatic looks like any of the other systems I've seen. About the same price as Goldline, or Autopilot for that matter. I'm not sure I like the idea of the cell being exposed to UV, though.

SJ

Phillbo
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm not familiar with the 'other' site so I must have missed something but can assume what has gone on..

thanks for your opinion.

Phillbo
04-06-2006, 11:43 PM
do I dare ask for opinions on the quietest 1.5 hp pump to install :rolleyes:

SJohnson
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Quiet 1.5 hp pump? What kind/size filter do you have? I like the NorthStar pumps by Hayward. They are strong, effecient and pretty darn quiet as well . . . if you do consider a NorthStar pump, keep in mind that they are full or max rated so their gpm output is much greater than another pump of the same hp. You may want to post this over in the equipment section of the forum for more helpful advice about pumps . . .

Hope this is helping you.

-SJohnson

SJohnson
04-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Another thing, you may want to read this before deciding on a pump/filter combo (see link below). . . you need to be especially careful about your pump's water turnover rate when adding a salt cell. You need to run those things at least 6 hours a day to generate enough chlorine and there really isn't any need in turning your water over 3 times in 6-8 hours . . . not saying your oversizing your pump(you're at 21k, right?), but just something to consider . . . a flow rate of 50gpm would turn your water over in a little under 8 hours . . . The general rule for a energy effecient system with good filtration is to oversize your filter and not oversize your pump, don't undersize it either . . . there is a nice balance that can be reached here . . .

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip83.html

-SJ

JohnT
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I was not aware this site had competition, I'll delete my request for a fair opinion of the mechanics of the system if it will cause unrest ...

I think you misunderstand. I THINK Ben was saying he didn't want to get the folks who represent other SWG companies who are active on this forum involved in discussing another manufacturer's product. I think that's one of those "Nothing good can come of this.." kind of things. Manufacturers and pool industry professionals are allowed here, they just have a few more rules to observe than the rest of us, the primary one being that they identify themselves as such in all postings.