PDA

View Full Version : Pump Died? Help with Autopsy

CoffeeBean
06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
I looked out this AM and the pool was undulating indicating the pump was working. I have a Hayward 1.5 h.p. Powerflow LX, installed in Oct 2003.

Two hours later it wasn't. I went down to check.

The pump motor was running. The filter pressure was nearly zero. There was some water jetting through the inlet but we had oodles of rain the last couple of days and the water level is very high so I think that it's just back wash.

I tried back washing and pump to waste. Some water came out but not like it should and there was no movement in the glass bottle. (And the cheap roll hose has split again.)

The only thing different: Someone mentioned those filter bags so I got one and put it on my skimmer basket. My first thought was the filter had sucked it off and jammed the pipes but no. Could the increased suction required have caused the pump to fail?

Is there something else I should do to check it before I go buy a new one?

Thanks

CoffeeBean

ThePoolGuy
06-24-2006, 02:58 PM
It must be some kind of pump day, my pump's empeller broke on me this mourning:eek: Anyhow, I wouldn't go buying anything just yet..atleast until you figure out whats broken or not working right. I would check the easy stuff first, like make sure the pump lid isn't leaking air causing the pump to loose prime or the pump basket / empeller isn't cloged up.

PatL34
06-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Did you try running without the filter bag? That might be the problem. Too much suction.

Pat

waste
06-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Coffebean, have you checked the baskets and impeller for clogs or obstructions? As was already posted, make sure that the pump isn't drawing air. When it comes time for the autopsy, if you'd like some advice on how to do it, just ask -I've done about 20 motor/ shaft seal replacements in the past 2 weeks alone!

CoffeeBean
06-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think that Pat has something.

I disassembled the hoses to the pump and checked to make sure there wasn't something clogging.

I took apart the housing between the filter and the motor and then plugged it in for a second to see if the empeller was turning. It looked fine. So I reconnected everything.

There wasn't much in the filter basket on the pump nor in the skimmer basket but...

my skimmer basket has a rod across the top which prevents me from sticking the filter bag inside so I had tried it on the outside of the basket. There was a knob of goop on the underside of the basket which may have been plugging the outlet hose of the skimmer.

Anyway...when I reconnected everything and plugged it back in - voila! it works. Now I can return that $230.00 pump I bought today just in case.

Waste, thanks for the offer of a guided autopsy. If I ever really do need it, I'll holler.

CoffeeBean

waste
06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Glad to hear it's all set !! :)

CoffeeBean
06-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Poolguy,

Has your pump been revived? I feel badly for you that your outcome wasn't as simple - or cheap - as mine.

CoffeeBean

ThePoolGuy
06-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Poolguy,

Has your pump been revived? I feel badly for you that your outcome wasn't as simple - or cheap - as mine.

CoffeeBean

Nah, I have to order an empeller Monday. I found all the seals at Leslies but no luck on the empeller. So it will probaly be Wed before she's up and running again. Thanks for asking.

cgc2
06-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Nah, I have to order an empeller Monday. I found all the seals at Leslies but no luck on the empeller. So it will probaly be Wed before she's up and running again. Thanks for asking.

Im just currious...how old is your pump/motor, and how much does an impeller cost ??

ThePoolGuy
06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Im just currious...how old is your pump/motor, and how much does an impeller cost ??

I'm not sure how old the pump/pool is. The house is only 4 years old but the pool was built at a later time. So it's only a few years old at best. As for the cost of the imepeller, they retail for around 20.00 - 30.00 bux depending on which one I got but I can order them at cost instead. I only went to Leslies to see if I could fix the pool Saturday instead of waiting on the parts.

CoffeeBean
06-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I see people referring to Leslies on the Forum. I'm surmising it's a pool supply store. Is it a local thing?

I'm out of CYA reagent and have been waiting on Ben's reorder for several weeks now. I tried finding Taylor reagents at our two local stores but they have what I term "kiddie" kits and looked at me strangely when I asked about Taylor. Is Leslie's on the net?

CoffeeBean

ThePoolGuy
06-25-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure but Leslies may sale stuff online. They mostly have stores in your trypical shoping centers nation wide...I think they're nation wide. Anyways, I work for a loacly owned and oprerated pool cleaning/supply store. So I really don't go into Leslies enough to know if they're any good. We usualy just go in there for parts we really don't want to wait for shipping. They do seem to carry a decent supply of chems and equipment though.

PS, who is Ben? It's kind of the opisite here, I've heard Ben mentioned a few times but not sure who he or they are lol