PDA

View Full Version : We're converted BBB'ers

wfarns
06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
We are so excited to have found this site a few weeks ago! We, like most, had 2 good years with Baquacil and then have struggled ever since. When we opened our pool this year (above ground - 27 foot round) it was horrible. We spent $145 on what the pool dealer recommended and still saw little improvement after a couple of weeks. So we started researching on the internet and stumbled across this site. We were so excited to learn others shared our struggles! It took us a couple of weeks to get up the nerve, but started pouring in bleach almost 2 weeks ago. It took from Sunday to Friday to get it to a good blue water. This week it has been clearer than we've ever seen it! Thanks to whoever came up with this site! We've shared our story with whoever we see!

William and Missy

CarlD
06-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi W&M!

Great first post! That's what we like to see--a successful conversion from Bac BEFORE you ask the WOTTLEYEDOO??? question!

Welcome!

wfarns
06-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! We have a cheap test kit from the Walmart. Do we need to invest in a better kit??? We did change our sand. It had a thick layer of lovely Baquagoo!!! We are keeping a check on CYA, Chlorine (FC and CC), PH, and Alkalinity. Is there anything else we need to be doing? Our water is lovely!!!!

William and Missy

CarlD
06-23-2006, 10:09 PM
"Do we need to invest in a better kit?"

YES!!! It will pay for itself the first year!

les_smith
06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I bought Taylor's K-2006C kit from Leslie's Pool Supply. $84.00. They also have the K-2006, $64.00, it has .75 oz re-agent bottles.. The K-200C has 2 oz bottles. I think, from what I've read, that Ben's kit is best, but if you want one now the Taylor kit is second best. Compare Leslie's and Taylor's website so you can figure out what the item number is at Leslie's. The pictures are the same, except Leslie's website has a pool in the background.

wfarns
06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks! We will certainly check into that! Every day we are amazed at how clear the pool is!

William and Missy

SLS
06-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Now your finally going to get to enjoy your pool....you only thought you were before. Now when it rains you can be thankful about it filling the pool up some instead of what this going to cost me....ha. My third year since the switch and I couldn't be happier!!!

larry b
07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
i too have a 28ft round above ground had baq for 4 years now not haveing all the problems as others have mostly a little milky water Im switching over at the end of the year,could you tellme how much bleach you started with also when backflushing you have to add acouple of inches back correct, for me its way to much $$$$$$$ ready poolsolutions and trying not to get confused with all these problems on the forum, if you could a little more details would help me it almost 4 of july water not to bad almost a 8-9 on my scale, but like i said way to much $$$$$ added 2-gallons of shock= 30 dollars as i see a case of pool shock is only 10$$$$ thanks alot

wfarns
07-03-2006, 10:46 AM
We have had crystal clear water now for going on 4 weeks. Our pool looks better than it ever has! Our conversion took from Sunday until about Thursday and was horrid looking when we started. We had purchased Baq to get the pool opened and had seen very little results. We were ready to drain when we found this site. We used approximately 6 jugs (about 4 1/2 gallons) 3 times a day for the first 2 days. After the 2nd day it started holding some chlorine overnight, so we could reduce the amount to just bring the chlorine level back to 15 ppm. We backwashed at least once a day and did add water back to the pool. Once the water was good and clear, we just maintain a chlorine level of 3-5ppm. We test the chlorine everyday and make necessary adjustments and also test the PH, alkalinity, and CYA evey 3 - 4 days. We bought a cheap drops based test kit at the Walmart for $15 but are planning on ordering Ben's kit which we understand is much better. Be sure and change the filter material after your conversion is complete. The Bleach Calc is a necessity and you can find a link to it here on the forum. It will calculate your pool capacity and help you determine how much bleach, baking soda, etc. you need. Since the test kit from the Walmart only tests to 5 ppm, you will need to use distilled water to mix your pool sample - 1 part pool water to 2 or 3 parts distilled water and then multiply your results by 3 or 4. For example - 1 part pool water, 2 parts distilled water - multiply test results by 3. If we can be of any help, we are just beginners, but we'll be glad to help where we can or just encourage! Good luck!

William and Missy