PDA

View Full Version : This may be a siily question but.......

no1ford
06-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I just have to get an "OK" on it! I have had metal problems in my water since day one. Iron. I had used a product called iron out or something and it worked great! I recently had 1/4 of the pool drained due to vaccuuming to waste and now the water after refill has a green hue to it again! I wil have to use more iron out when more new water added, right?

And on the BBB system- do you ever shock without bringing chlorine up high, Like with a blast or anything? For example, after swimmers.

mbar
06-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, everytime you add a lot of water, you need to add more sequesterant. I only shock with bleach, but when I do I make sure my ph is no higher than 7.2 - 7.4, and that there is sequesterant in the water. I do run my chlorine to the high level when there have been a lot of little kids in the water, or a heavy rain. If you have enough sequesterant in the water, you can shock any time you want, but it isn't necessary unless you have combined chlorine, or the pool looks cloudy.

no1ford
06-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Ok-I just needed a little clarification! I am just fiishing up getting all of the floc I used out of my pool! Water is looking much better now. A few places left to vaccuum and hopefully this month long battle will be won! Thank you for helping-I am sure this will not be the last question I have! :)

Already thought of one! I have approx. 7600 gallon pool. My iron remover covers 5000. I used only half of the bottle as I only refiilled 1/4 of the pool. It still loks a little green-if I use the rest will it do any damage?

mbar
06-24-2006, 10:58 AM
You can put the rest of the bottle in the water, it won't hurt anything. I would rather have too much than not enough.

no1ford
06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Today after seroius rain last night- my numbers are a liitle whacked

TC-2-4
PH- 7.2
Alk-210
Cya-30

If I add Ph minus to lower Alk-then my Ph will drop too low. I do not quite understand the lower Alk sticky. Any advice. Water clear-no sparkle

waterbear
06-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Today after seroius rain last night- my numbers are a liitle whacked

TC-2-4
PH- 7.2
Alk-210
Cya-30

If I add Ph minus to lower Alk-then my Ph will drop too low. I do not quite understand the lower Alk sticky. Any advice. Water clear-no sparkle
If your pool is plaster or fiberglass drop the pH to 7.0 and start aerating. If it is vinyl then 7.2 is the right pH to start aerating. As you aerate the pH will go up and the Alk will go down. Keeep adding acid as you aerate to keep the pH at the target (7.0 or 7.2) until your ALK reading is around 100-120 ppm then stop adding acid and aerate until your pH is about 7.4....Your Alk should then be fine. (If you have a vinyl pool then you really only have to get the ALK down to about 140 ppm.)

no1ford
06-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Can I use PH minus to lower alk-or do I have to use acid. I have a vinyl pool. How do you aerate? I have an intex with only the one return and suction. Can I have the kids jump in and wiggle around? Or can I just brush the side to move the water around. Thanks in advance for your help.

waterbear
06-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Can I use PH minus to lower alk-or do I have to use acid. I have a vinyl pool.
Either one is fine, I prefer acid since it is cheaper and a bit more efficient but is it not as nice to work with as dry acid. Your choice.

no1ford
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Ok-well I still have some ph minus from opening-so I will try that first. I added 1/2 cup to start for an 18x48 pool. I have read that if the ph gets to low it can harm the liner-so I a liitle hesitant. I will re-check in two hours. On average how long does it take for Alk to lower-is this another long process? Should I keep my filter running?

A couple more questions:

And I am still unclear about aeration.
One alk is adjusted do I add borax to raise ph back.
Can I continue to add my bleach as normal during this process?

I really appreciate your help. By next season I should be a pro!!

no1ford
06-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Ph-7.2
Alk-200

Had a few kids jump in the pool to move it around. Should I add more ph minus or let it circulate overnight?

waterbear
06-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Ok-well I still have some ph minus from opening-so I will try that first. I added 1/2 cup to start for an 18x48 pool. I have read that if the ph gets to low it can harm the liner-so I a liitle hesitant. I will re-check in two hours. On average how long does it take for Alk to lower-is this another long process? Should I keep my filter running?

A couple more questions:

And I am still unclear about aeration.
by lowering the pH you have shifted the TA buffer system of carbonic acid/carbonates/bicarbonates to more carbonic acid and less of the other two. Club soda is carbonic acid! (carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water) If you shake the bottle of club soda (aerate it) it goes flat (you have driven off the dissolved carbon dioxide). You want to do the same with your pool (I know you can't shake it but you want to disturb the water as much as you can, perhaps a pipe in the return with a 90 deg elbow to create a fountain effect, or 10 kids having a splashing contest)
One alk is adjusted do I add borax to raise ph back.
No, as the carbon dioxide is driven off the pH will rise on its own as the TA goes down. Just stop aerating when the pH is where you want it.
Can I continue to add my bleach as normal during this process?
Yes
I really appreciate your help. By next season I should be a pro!! Hope this helps.

no1ford
06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Great thanks! I will continue to "disturb" my water! :)

Should I leave the pump running the whole time?

you have been a huge help to me through this! Can't thank you enough!

waterbear
06-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Great thanks! I will continue to "disturb" my water! :)

Should I leave the pump running the whole time?
I would, especially if you have some type of 'fountain' hooked up for aeration
you have been a huge help to me through this! Can't thank you enough!
That's what this forum is all about.

no1ford
06-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Todays numbers-

CL- 5-10
ph- 7.5
alk-220
cya-30

I have added ph minus for 4 days now and my ph and alk will not drop! I have had a ton of kids in there to help aerate too! Is this another long process? should I go buy alk minus from Walmart?

Please help! My water is back to being cloudy again! :(

Also my test kit says to test cya 2 times per summer--sound right?

mbar
06-30-2006, 09:03 PM
You have to lower your ph down to 7 or 7.2, then aerate the water. As the alk goes down, your ph will rise. You must continue to add acid to bring down the ph to 7 - 7.2 and then aerate again. You do this process untill your alk is between 80 and 120. Muriatic acid works for ph or the dry acid for ph down. Not alk reducer. Hope this helps.

BlueBlobTX
07-03-2006, 11:24 PM
As far as aeration... Your Intex should have come with a little fountain/sprayer thing that hooks onto the pump outlet on the inside. Take off the fitting on the inside wall and replace with the fitting and hose that connect to the sprayer. You can direct the sprayer to spray droplets all over the top of you water and, thus, aerate your pool. For me, I'm using a Pool
Devil on the outlet... its a really cheap skimmer with a sock that works on the "venturi" principle... it goes on tout outlet and as the water is streaming in from the pump, it sucks the surface junk into the sock. The skimmer that tries to hook onto the side of the Intex has never worked right for me and always gets shifted when people are swimming. Anyway, the Pool Devil is adjustable and I can set it to create a little aeration action while it is skimming.. and there's no way I'm spending more than $20 for any accessories for a $200 (on sale last year) 18 x 48 Intex. Use the tools you have and the knowledge from this site. I've been doing the BBB thing since the day I put the pool up last year and all has been fine. Stay away from the pool store and be patient. Also, and I could be very wrong here, but I don't worry too much about PH and Alk. We're in a really high ALK area here... couldn't grow an azelea if my life depended on it... my ph stays pretty high as well as the alk, but in the Intex, it's not hurting anything. Pool is clear and chlorine is stable. I've been reading and lurking here for over a year... I'm sure Carl D will correct me if I'm wrong about the PH. I quit worrying about it though and just worry about keeping the pool clean and keeping my chlorine levels. Hope this helps.