PDA

View Full Version : My CYA delivery method -don't laugh!

hoffmans
06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/hoffmans8ormore/CYAinmypantyhose.jpg
Yep Thats my pantyhose!
Yeah I know it's just a little dopey Intex Popup. But using this forum and Ben's site, we learned allot and made our chemical mistakes in this little pool instead of a big one.
The big one is coming soon.
This one in the 36'round :
http://www.swimartesian.com/showroom/pool_diamond.asp
Or
Probably this one in the 33'Round: great price. nice people.
http://www.sunenterprises.com/platinumpools.htm

It's a scary thought to be responsible to keep all that water CLEAR as glass, :( but
I feel like this site is my crutch, and w/ it we will be ok.
Thank You
~The Hoffmans

mbar
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words!! You made my day, good luck with your new pool purchase.

CToon
06-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Seeing how women love to wear pantyhose in the summer , I guess its a good use for em ,,hehe

And I bet you get just as wet in that intex pool as you will in the big pool, so it aint that "dopey"

PatL34
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I came up with this one.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645#post6645

Pat

medvampire
06-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Finely a good use for a floating puck feeder!:D Little pool.... big pool same chems. Good luck.
Steve

CarlD
06-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Yep Thats my pantyhose!

BRILLIANT! Necessity is the mother of invention and you've just invented the PERFECT CYA delivery system. I dub this: "The Hoffman Delivery System" This is the BEST use around a pool yet for the wife's torn pantyhose! You said "don't laugh" but I AM laughing! How can I not?

Yeah I know it's just a little dopey Intex Popup. But using this forum and Ben's site, we learned allot and made our chemical mistakes in this little pool instead of a big one.
The big one is coming soon.

Hey! I resent that! Our first pool was a 15'x3' Intex Donut--back when they were surprisingly expensive. For 3 years we loved it (though I had water problem the first year--until I discover this place). There is NOTHING wrong with a starter pool. The water is JUST as wet, it's better for small kids because it's not too deep, and when you are sitting in a floating chair, in the late afternoon, on a hot day, with a cool drink, listening to the ball game, it's JUST as relaxing as the big pool!

Yeah, the filter is a little weak, the ladder is dinky, and you have to be creative to have an effective vacuum, but I learned an IMMENSE amount taking care of it, bought Ben's PS-232 for it (worth every nickel), and developed the confidence to take on the FantaSea project that's 16'x40' and nearly 20,000 gallons.

jimmyzshack
06-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Yep i had a 18' pop up for 3 years also...it did it's job we just got a 15x30 and gave the pop up to my wife sister.

The Raddish
06-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Okay, dumb question time. I just poured three pounds of CYA in my skimmer a couple nights ago. What's the advantage of doing it this ingenious way as opposed to the way I did it?

The Raddish == total noob

mbar
06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
When you put the cya in the skimmer it goes directly into the filter, it takes a while to dissolve, so you can't backwash for a week, or you may backwash the cya right out. That is the advantage of not putting it in the skimmer. If you just put the cya in the pool, it will lay all over the bottom until it dissolves, that is the advantage of the ingenious inventions on this forum!

The Raddish
06-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Gotcha.

I'm not too worried then about adding it to the skimmer. My pool is crystal clear and there is no need to backwash any time soon. Also, I tested my CYA this morning and it is now a little under 30ppm, but not much. The Taylor test kit doesn't read under 30ppm. I added three pounds of CYA a couple days ago since I just installed a new liner.

Pouring it in the skimmer was just easier, and since the install was brand new there isn't going to be a need to backwash for a while.

Speaking of that, wouldn't it just be prudent then to backwash right before you put in the CYA, that way you'd be good to go for a while and render any need to be creative with CYA distribution useless? Or is it an issue with filters other than sand filters that you don't want to pour CYA into the skimmer?

waterbear
06-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Some AG pools like the intex donuts dont always have skimmers so other methods need to be thought up! If you have a skimmer then that is probably the easiest way to add CYA.

wetshoes1
06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I bought some cya the other day & it says to dissolve it first in warm water, then pour it in the skimmer.
Wouldn't this help dissolve it quicker?

waterbear
06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
I bought some cya the other day & it says to dissolve it first in warm water, then pour it in the skimmer.
Wouldn't this help dissolve it quicker?
In a word....no! It will take up to a week to dissolve completely, warm water or not.

Watermom
06-27-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with Waterbear. That stuff just does not dissolve quickly. It makes sense that warm water would make it dissolve faster, but it does not. Just go ahead and throw it in the skimmer and then just be patient!;)

NWMNMom
06-27-2006, 10:05 AM
We stuffed ours into a couple of long tube socks - tied them in a knot at the top and strung them with string into the water about 1' out from the return. They get some disturbance from the return but not so much that it knocks it all out of the socks right away and lets it drop to the bottom.

kaydee
06-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I would go with the Artesian pool, just my experience.

Kaydee

baseballmom22
06-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I learned something today that I will need in the near future! What a cleaver idea. We did the above ground and had it for 5 years before we decided to go inground. Pool is being decked today, so we'll be swimming soon! :D I wanted to make sure that we'd use a pool before we invested in it. Now that the kiddos are getting bigger, they are wanting to be diving and doing things we couldn't do in the smaller pool.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/baseballmom22/Pool/th_B_6-17-06.jpg

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/baseballmom22/Pool/th_EEE_6-25-06.jpg

ScottsdaleSwim
07-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I saw this at land+living and had to find this post again.

Not only is this a great cya delivery method..
it's ART!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5752/1026thumb8jn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)Dubbed a "a 7 year experiment", SPACE 1026 is clearly turning into a succesful attempt.

"Located in Philadelphia, the 2 storey building that is home to SPACE 1026 has developed into a thriving art scene that provides both studio and gallery space for the cities up and coming community of artists.

It is a network of dozens of artists who‘ve had studios at the Space, past and present. It is dozens of artists who‘ve had shows at the Space over the last 7 years. It is dozens of artists who come to our events, and participate in our community. Space 1026 is a community - a creative community - not an institution.
The variety of work is amazing with definitely a few head turners. Especially for me is the work by Artist Rachel Vittorelli (seen above) and her series of light fixtures."

MaryLee
07-06-2006, 11:09 PM
ScottsdaleSwim...LOL :D

hoffmans
07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Haaa haaa haaa haa
I am really busting a gut with that one!!

She must have gotten the idea from this thread!;)

Thank you scottsdaleswim!
~Hoffmans

ScottsdaleSwim
07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
I actually laughed out loud when I saw that "art".

You should be receiving royalties!

mbar
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
What a perfect picture!! I will never add cya without thinking of this - thanks for making my day! I wonder how big her pool is???

brent.roberts
07-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I just got Bens test kit last week and did my first CYA test this spring.

ZERO !!!

and I've just put in an Autopilot that you are supposed to run with very high CYA.

The JUG I got was made by SUN also said to disolve in warm water. Not being fond of that idea I poured it into the skimmer ... with a skimmer sock in place.

Two pounds were disolved and gone in 1 hour flat. Tested and I had 25 PPM according to Ben's kit. Next morning I repeated ... again disolved in and hour.

Done deal.

Soon the pool stores will have the liquid CYA and all this waiting a week, justified or not, will be history.

ChuckD
07-07-2006, 10:25 PM

ZERO !!!

and I've just put in an Autopilot that you are supposed to run with very high CYA.

The JUG I got was made by SUN also said to disolve in warm water. Not being fond of that idea I poured it into the skimmer ... with a skimmer sock in place.

Two pounds were disolved and gone in 1 hour flat. Tested and I had 25 PPM according to Ben's kit. Next morning I repeated ... again disolved in and hour.

Done deal.

Soon the pool stores will have the liquid CYA and all this waiting a week, justified or not, will be history.

Hey brent, don't take that reading as final. This weekend I split 4 lbs. of CYA into three skimmer socks, tied them off and let them bob around on the steps. I found the powder was breaking down and forming a cloud, but alot of it dropped right out to the pool bottom undissolved. I'm thinking since your's was in the skimmer, alot of it may have been sucked into the filter and may still be there still dissolving.

I'm betting that CYA level will creep up over the next couple days (don't backwash!).

So what do you know about a liquid CYA? That'd make life easier.

C.

waterbear
07-07-2006, 10:35 PM
So what do you know about a liquid CYA? That'd make life easier.

C.
The liquid CYA is from NaturalChemisty. It is the monosodium salt of CYA in solution. I have not been able to find out any info on it's pros and cons vs. cyanuric acid but I would assume that if it was better then evey product company would have it on the market. It is very hard to get any technical info from this company. I have tried and it took 5 emails until a question about their Metal Free, which uses EDTA instead of phosphonic acid was answered.

brent.roberts
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I hope it continues to go up. Bleachcalc says I need 4 lbs. I've only put half that in. The Autopilot system folks want a lot more than the 40PPM that I normally run. Going to re-test in a few days and see want really happened

sisie5
05-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a question,I have no cya in my pool at all.I put one cup of cya in tuesday,took a reading and still have none.how much should I put in.and can I put bleach in at the same time?do I run the filter in filter position.or recirulate.thanks to all of you.love this site
sisie

NWMNMom
05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Funny stuff!

iwannapool
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
The liquid CYA is from NaturalChemisty. It is the monosodium salt of CYA in solution. I have not been able to find out any info on it's pros and cons vs. cyanuric acid but I would assume that if it was better then evey product company would have it on the market. It is very hard to get any technical info from this company. I have tried and it took 5 emails until a question about their Metal Free, which uses EDTA instead of phosphonic acid was answered.

I've seen this selling for $23.99 a gallon and one gallon adds 40 ppm to 10,000gallons. I think I'll let the dry CYA just take its time to dissolve.

PhantomAndy
05-18-2007, 10:18 AM

ZERO !!!

Done deal.

2 Things:

1) The panty hose are a much sexier way to deliver CYA than the dirty gym sock I've used in the past - KUDOS!

2) @ Brent.Roberts: WOW! Ben's back and shipping kits? First I've heard of that. . . figured he'd never ship another kit.
[START EDIT] Strike number 2: I'm a moron - didn't notice that Brent's post was July of 2006. . . . . DOH! [END EDIT]

hoffmans
05-19-2007, 11:40 PM
You're right PhantomAndy!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/hoffmans8ormore/musicnotelittleicon.gif Maa CYA is too sexy, too sexy for maa pool.... http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/hoffmans8ormore/musicnotelittleicon.gif

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/hoffmans8ormore/TheNewCYAinPantyhose.jpg

~Hoffmans

PhantomAndy
05-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Rofl . . . .