PDA

View Full Version : Non Chlorine oxidizer ????

pool newby
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Hello,

With a 8600 abg pool my numbers are:

FC - 3.5
TC- 4.5
CC - 1.0
CYA- 48
TA- 140
PH - 7.4

My water is crystal clear, and no obvious problems. Looks like I might need to shock, since my pool gets all day sunlight and quite a bit of usage from 2 adults and 2 kids. I have some non chlorine oxidizer shock that reads:

active ingredient:
potassium monopersulfate....44.7 %
Inert ingredients....................55.3 %
Percent active oxygen............4.7 %

The label says it will clear up combined chloramides and other wastes. I didn't buy this stuff, it came with my pool start up kit.

I'm thinking this won't substitute for regular chlorine shocking, but I'm wondering if it will hurt anything putting in my pool, or exactly what's it's purpose is?

thanks

Bob P
pool newby
E Tn

waterbear
06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
MPS (potassium monopersulfate) will not eliminate chloramines already in the pool. It works by keeping an excess of oxidizer in the water to, in theory, burn off organics before they combine with the chlorine and become chorlamines. It is not as strong an oxidizer as chlorine and will also show up as combined chlorine and total chlorine on testing unless a special reagent is used to eliminate the interferance from it. The above info is right off the DuPont website. They manufacture just about all of the MPS out there under the brand name Oxone which is then repackaged by the pool chemical companies. They developed the product initially.

IMHO, it is of little use in a chlorine sanitized pool and is really only useful with Bromine as a sanitizer because it actually reactivates bromine in the water.