PDA

View Full Version : while converting can you swim?

Bowlin
06-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Just curious, in this conversion process can you swim in the pool?

aylad
06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't. The chlorine you're putting in is being used up quickly by the Baq, meaning there's nothing there to kill whatever else is in your pool water. Besides, the spectacular colors that the water tends to turn would discourage most anybody from getting in, I would think!

Janet

bcb1
06-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Right. You need to stay out of the water for a few days. But converting is much easier than folks imagine. I thought it would be a big huge deal - but it's really not.

You just dump in loads of cal hypo (shock) - about 4 to 5 pounds for a 27,000 gallon pool. Watch it turn a yucky yellowish brown color :) Make sure you run the filter 24/7, and backwash it OFTEN. It will gum up quick from all the baquacil goo.

The next day, add another few pounds of shock (or bleach, if you prefer). You'll need to keep adding it, because the baquacil eats it up in the conversion process - so make sure you get a good test kit, so you can measure the chlorine level. Try to keep it about 10ppm.

My pool only took about 48 hours total, start to finish. I didn't feel comfortable emptying the sand filter and replacing the sand, so I had a pool guy do it for me. That was a few hours of labor, no big deal.

Chlorine is E-A-S-Y compared to Baquacil. And much, much cheaper. I probably spend less than $100 on chemicals in an entire season. And my water is always 100% crystal clear. It was never completely clear with Baquacil - always cloudy on the deep end. That stuff is a scam.

jeffmull
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Once you start the process, you probably won't want to swim. The pool looks disgusting for a while. Well worth it once you've got it over with. Did mine at the end of last year and I'm glad I did it.

Jeff