PDA

View Full Version : Decided on a 2 speed pump but.....

cruzmisl
06-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I need some advice on the appropriate size. It turns out running 220V to my location will be a cakewalk.

I was really liking the Hayward Northstar pump but their smallest 2 speed model is a 1.5HP which may be too large. I was thinking of going with a .75HP Whisperflo but wanted some opinions before I order. Specs are as follows,

18x36 IG vinyl with spillover spa
Sta-Rite Heater
250lb sand filter (likely upgrading to DE later this year)
1.5" plumbing
Suction side- 1 skimmer, 1 drain and spa drain (only pull from spa if I need to heat it)
Return side - 2 pool returns (one 1.5" pipe splits to 2 returns), spa return (for spillover or to heat spa) and 2 stair jets (one 1.5" pipe splits to 2 jets)

I usually have it set up so all the water goes to the spa for the spillover. Unless I am heating I rarely turn on the pool returns and stair jets.

I figured about 50ft of head for the system.

The Whisperflo .75HP full rated will deliver around 75gpm on high speed and probably around 35-40gpm on low (reading a chart with poor accuracy).

The Hayward 1.5hp max rated will deliver 95GPM and probably half that on low. Seems like overkill to me but I'd really like some opinions.

The Whisperflo looks nice but I wish the housing was black. If it's a great pump though and will suit my needs I'd be willing to overlook it :)

I currently have a 110V Starite Duraglas 1HP installed now and looking for better, quieter pump performance while saving money. The saving money part is key

Thanks a ton for any advice!!!
J.

PS I could probably go with a 1HP uprated model but I couldn't find any flow data for that. I'd presume it's the same as the 3/4 full rated. I'd probably save myself some money on the pump going that route.

Davenj
06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
You will get some expert advice. But here's my setup, observation. Northstar 2spd 2hp, 500lb sand filter, 2.5" piping, 4 returns, step jets, swim out, spill over, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains. On high everthing open filter runs 22psi and moves alot of water. Pool returns ripples water more than 3/4 across the pool. On low 8psi still have visible water movement and spillover. Seems to big for your set up.

cruzmisl
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds WAAY too big. :)

Thanks for the reply though.

J.

mas985
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
2 speed pumps tend to be uprated so the 1.5 HP uprated is the same as a 1 HP full rated pump. That is not to say it would not be too big for your pool. Given the pipe size that you have, I would not go much higher than 3/4 HP full rated pump. The Whisperflow is a good pump but so is the Northstar and Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Also, will this pump run the jets in your spa? If so, you may want to stay with the higher HP pumps even with the pipe size otherwise you will get very weak jets.

cruzmisl
06-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Also, will this pump run the jets in your spa? If so, you may want to stay with the higher HP pumps even with the pipe size otherwise you will get very weak jets.

Good question. I have a separate 2 speed pump (1HP I think) for the spa jets. The pool pump is only used for the spa return for spillover or heating the spa.