PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors and Pool Installation (LONG)

Pages : [1] 2

Simmons99
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
We had a new house built in 2005. We decided we wanted to pay for the pool cash from the sale of the old house.

So during our home construction we approached our new neighbors - a lovely newly wed couple - about the fact that we were installing a pool - they seemed thrilled at the prospect of coming over and swimming.

Well we finally were able to sell the old house in May and immediately put the down payment on the pool to get started and I went next door to get the use of land agreement signed since we have to use about 5' of their side yard for equipment to move in and out.

Our first clue that this was probably going to be harder than we expected was when Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed said "Well they better not hit the house because it will never be the same!" I told them that if there was any damage it would be covered, etc and that we would pay for damage to their grass and irrigation system.

The pool was dug yesterday. I get a call from the pool builder that the guys digging the pool overheard her talking very frantically on the phone outside about how there was dirt on her house, etc. I asked the builder if she had come over and actually complained, he said no and that they would be done in 45 minutes. I told him to just get done and get out of there.

As soon as I could, I left the tradeshow I was working (50 miles from home) and drove home to make sure that Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed was okay with how they left it. Talked with her and she says "well our spinklers are burried and I was worried about our gutter downspout being burried, but they cleaned it all up and its ok" I asked her if she wanted me to unbury thesprinkler heads- she laughed and say no - don't worry about it. So like an idiot I forgot about it.

Today the pool builder comes to install the steel and the neighbors come over (while I am at school) and tell my husband that they are really upset about the sprinkler heads being under dirt- and then proceeded to accusing us of breaking one of their sprinkler heads like 3 weeks ago and throwing it in their yard (where the he** did that come from:confused: )????

Pissed off the husband - so I get home and tell him it isn't worth him getting upset. I walk over there and ask them to please tell me exactly what they want done so it can be taken care of tomorrow. 6 sprinkler heads capped at the lines - fine - no problem.

Then they start complaining that there is gravel in the back and they cannot mow because a rock may fly up and break one of their windows. So I state "You need to tell us what you want done so we can fix it because if we don't know - we can't get it right." They keep complaining about it- so I ask "do you want me to take a broom and try to sweep it up - or if you want I can mow it" They get even pissier and Mr. Lovely Newly Wed says "that won't help".

So I thank them for letting us use their yard to install the pool and that we don't want them inconvienanced (sp?)....

Maybe I should have purchased the smaller house on the bigger lot!

Thanks for letting me vent :p

You can see the pictures of what they are complaining about on my signature

cruzmisl
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Sound like a couple of people I wouldn't be inviting over. They sound nuttier than squirrel turds. Keep them away from your water unless you enjoy swimming in your neighbors urine:)

My neighbor is a dolt too so don't feel bad. I walk right by and don't even look at him. His wife is nice though. I still say hello to her.

medvampire
06-22-2006, 10:47 PM
You have a agreement signed from them ??? Dont worry about and enjoy the pool when its done. If they ask about swimming smile and mention some chem issue and feared legal action aginst you. Looks like its gonna be a very nice pool.
Steve

edit
I am gonna get slapped for this : Tell them you have too much dihydrogenmonoxide in your pool to be safe.
If you want to know why I will get slapped read this thread
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2619

sevver
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
These are the people I say are Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. They are the ones who say that since they swam in your pool, their eye hurts, or their skin feels funny and try to ask everyone else who comes over if theirs does too. Best thing to do is put up a fence, tall fences can make for good neighbors sometimes. Or else if you don't want to be too rude, a nice border of Rose Of Sharon and just let it get tall, that way it is a slow slap in the face.

My neighbors are all cool, I am lucky I suppose. Good luck with the weird-o's. :)

CarlD
06-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Y'know--there are always two sides to the story....

What WAS your agreement with them? How serious an impact did it actually have on their house? Did your builder exceed your agreement with them? Was cleanup and repair done in timely fashion?

Sounds like the impact on their yard was FAR more than they expected and they reacted emotionally rather than logically.

They may be nuttier than a squirrel's stash, but they, too, have a legit beef. It sounds like they handled it badly, though.

Neighbors' construction can have quite a lousy impact on your quality of life. After years of a development going in behind us, with lots of blasting, the new house behind us was occupied. They then IMMEDIATELY had the trees between us taken down and we looked at dirt and construction for then next 13 months. The drainage "solution" their landscaper put in has been causing pooling in MY back yard....Am I a rotten neighbor for being upset? Then the guy next to him is doing construction now, up hill from us. I did speak to his architect and they are ensuring that the OTHER source of flooding in our backyard will be fixed too...

All by careful back-fence diplomacy--and a wife smart enough to tell me to use that first...

mhnewcomb
06-23-2006, 07:23 AM
These are the people I say are Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs. They are the ones who say that since they swam in your pool, their eye hurts, or their skin feels funny and try to ask everyone else who comes over if theirs does too. Best thing to do is put up a fence, tall fences can make for good neighbors sometimes. Or else if you don't want to be too rude, a nice border of Rose Of Sharon and just let it get tall, that way it is a slow slap in the face.

My neighbors are all cool, I am lucky I suppose. Good luck with the weird-o's. :)

Good advice.

I, too am lucky in the neighbor department. Up until three months ago, my grandfather was my neighbor--he is 91 and finally decided to go live with my mother. We have just barely started construction on our new home--next door to my dad! Ain't nothin' but a family thing...;)

Simmons99
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Y'know--there are always two sides to the story....

What WAS your agreement with them? How serious an impact did it actually have on their house? Did your builder exceed your agreement with them? Was cleanup and repair done in timely fashion?

Sounds like the impact on their yard was FAR more than they expected and they reacted emotionally rather than logically.

That's the craziest thing - they did sign an agreement that allowed the entire use of their side yard. I told them that their sprinklers were going to get trashed and that we would pay for repairs and resod any area that was damaged.

When I talked with them the day of digging, Mrs. Lovely Newly Wed didn't even tell me they were broken, just that they were burried. When I asked if I could do something - she says no.

We are only 3 days into construction - I just hope the pool builder hurries.

We are going on vacation all week next week - I hope they don't burn our house down while we are gone.:rolleyes:

medvampire
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
My out take they should have said something when there was a problem not wait. Take in to account that it IS concruction and things will be a mess during this time. List things that need fixed, let you know about it, and at the end of the concruction hold your feet to the fire to get it done.
Good luck and have a great vacation
Steve

Pool_Mike
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Sound like a couple of people I wouldn't be inviting over. They sound nuttier than squirrel turds. Keep them away from your water unless you enjoy swimming in your neighbors urine:)

My neighbor is a dolt too so don't feel bad. I walk right by and don't even look at him. His wife is nice though. I still say hello to her.

Agreed, and your neighbors are the same as mine.

The only problem I see with there lots is no private fence (from the pics). Seems like more then the neighbors will try to attempt to invite themselves when your out on a little vacation. Btw.. nice pond out there. Hope that no ducks or other rodents will enjoy your pool water better ;)

Great to vent and love these type of stories. Keep them coming ;)

Simmons99
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
OMG - it gets better - the sprinkler company came out to fix the sprinkler heads and they were not home. Husband calls them to tell them that the sprinkler company needs to be able to turn the system on to find the heads and verify they have been fixed. They tell us that they should not have to take off of work or come home to deal with this.

So my husand left them the sprinkler company's card and a letter for them to contact them to schedule a time when it is convienant for them.

I just hope they don't try and get me to replace the sod in their whole yard because heads are broken in 3 of the zones and they can't turn on the system.

Maybe I should leave a new hose and sprinkler for them too when we leave? If this gets really bad (although I don't know it can get worse) I will just tell them to sue me and we'll see who runs out of money first:cool:

tmmort
06-23-2006, 08:06 PM
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

I would make sure their yard was better than it was before, along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

I've unfortunately had the experience of living next to brooding neighbors - life's too short for that. JMHO.

MaryLee
06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

I would make sure their yard was better than it was before, along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

I've unfortunately had the experience of living next to brooding neighbors - life's too short for that. JMHO.

Good advice!! I agree 100%. Rise above it all.

cruzmisl
06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
I would make sure their yard was better than it was before

I agree. At least then they have nothing to complain about.

along with sending Lovely Newly Wed a bouquet of flowers with a swimming invite upon completion.

Flowers? Swimming invite?? Are you kidding me? That will just reinforce their childish behaviour for the next project they're involved in. Not for me, but then again I 'm stubborn and will not give an inch especially since they happily agreed to the project. What did the neighbors think they were going to dig the pool with a garden shovel??

Just my 2 cents. Surely others would react differently. I think they are doing everything they can but the neighbors are uncooperative.

sevver
06-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree, with that, if the neighbors agreed to the project, then ongoing perfection is not going to happen, their yard cannot be restored daily, they do not make hovercraft backhoes, and the dirt is not getting airlifted out of the backyard. Sounds like the neighbors are typical construction-ignorant types.

As for returning the yard back to better than original, by all means do that, but don't invite them over, I would say they would have to earn that.

leejp
06-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Does your neighbor run out to grab soccer balls, baseballs, frisbees... that land on her yard too? ;)

Simmons99
07-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Update -

Right before we left for vacation on Sunday (6/23/06) - I wrote a letter (scanned and kept a copy) explaining that we had the sprinkler company out on Friday and they could not repair their system because no one was home to turn on the water. I continued that they are to contact the sprinkler company and included the guys name and number (the guy also left a card on their door) and that he would make an appointment at their convenience. I also told them that he would come by daily while we were out of town to immediately repair any damage that may occur. I thanked them for their patience and for their permission to use their yard for the installation.

I put it in an envelope with a bottle of wine on their front porch.

They came by about an hour later and thanked us for the wine and that they had talked to the sprinkler company.

Anyway - I have been home for 2 days now and they are not talking to us. So I guess I will wait until the PM for the pool builder calls me back to see what happened while we are gone.

Pool_Mike
07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Simmons,

That seems to be great news. You seem to be a great guy and take care of business. I wish I had a neighbor like you. To me you did all you can and you are being very helpfull to make sure your neighbor gets their yard issues resolved at the end of your pool project. I just hope the same happens here w/ us when out builder starts to break ground or break the fence down. Oh yea.... I have not told the neighbor yet. hehehe

tundraSQ
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
OMG - it gets better - the sprinkler company came out to fix the sprinkler heads and they were not home. Husband calls them to tell them that the sprinkler company needs to be able to turn the system on to find the heads and verify they have been fixed. They tell us that they should not have to take off of work or come home to deal with this.

So my husand left them the sprinkler company's card and a letter for them to contact them to schedule a time when it is convienant for them.

I just hope they don't try and get me to replace the sod in their whole yard because heads are broken in 3 of the zones and they can't turn on the system.

Maybe I should leave a new hose and sprinkler for them too when we leave? If this gets really bad (although I don't know it can get worse) I will just tell them to sue me and we'll see who runs out of money first:cool:

Its easy for us to sit back and laugh, but I'm SURE its no joking matter to you...you just KNOW they are going to contact a lawyer the minute the pool is complete with a LONG list of "damages" and "pain and suffering"....you might want to look over your home owners policy, and take LOTS of photos to help defend your case...plus LOTS of notes.

Good Luck...and enjoy the pool.:)

matt4x4
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Man, am I glad I don't live in your neck of the woods, I have great neighbours!
I really feel for you, definitely DO NOT EVER invite them over for a swim or anything else for that matter, get their yard fixed good as new, give them a sprinkler head or two for their troubles with a little note saying something like

...in case they didn't find them all.

gonefishin
07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
As for returning the yard back to better than original, by all means do that, but don't invite them over, I would say they would have to earn that.

I couldn't agree more. As you say...return the yard to the proper condition. I would also be more than willing to assist the neighbor with any repairs they may be doing on their own. But it doesn't seem that this young couple is concerned enough to get a little dirty while making the repairs themselves.

More often than not...it's much easier for people to complain rather than just fix the problem. It's also much quicker.

My guess...this couple will continue complaining about this much after the problem is gone.

take care,
dan

Simmons99
07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Okay they came over last night and talked to my husband while I was taking the kids to swimming lessons. They had a whole week and a half to brew up stuff so here is their latest laundry list.

The sprinklers are not fixed because they did NOT call the sprinkler company because they shouldn't HAVE to call them - it's our job. DH told them that we tried that and they were not home - so that we would be happy to call the sprinkler company but that they would need to coordinate with them to be home when they come out. Then DH finds out that all the sprinkler heads are on ONE zone (not three like they told me last week) which they have turned off and there is no grass in that zone right now.
They are upset that the pool equipment will be installed on our side yard that faces them. They wanted us to move it to the other side of the house. DH told them that we couldn't do that because of zoning regulations (not true but they cannot argue with that!)
They want us to sign a piece of paper stating that we will pay to relocate or remove and replace our pool equipment in the event they choose to build a pool. They seem to think that the equipment would not be able to get past our pool equipment. DH told them that a pool company could get around it, but they argued with him over it.
They want us to bury the gas tank in the ground, because "everyone else's is like that" (except of course the other five gas tanks on our street). DH said that he would look into it.
They are really "concerned" about drainage - as the ground does not slope the way that they want it. DH reminded them that the pool company is not done yet and that they will need to level the ground to install the pavers.

So I have decided to write a letter with the following...

As we discussed before we went on vacation - you need to contact the sprinkler company to repair your sprinklers so that they can make sure that you are home and that you can verify they are fixed according to your specifications. We will be covering any costs for repairing damage from the pool company.
We will be more than happy to sign a land use and access agreement as you signed for us in the event that you would like to have a pool installed in your yard. In the event of damages, we would expect the same thing that you do, which is that all damages to our property will be repaired at your or your pool company's expense.
As far as the gas tank location on our property. We will locate the tank according to the most economical solution for us. If you would like to assist with the cost of burying the tank, we would be willing to discuss it.
We expect that the project will be done between the end of July and the end of August. At the end of the project the grading will be completed and we will have all of your sod replaced and verify that your sprinkler system is functioning to the "pre-pool" condition.

I'm really mad right now - is that clear enough?

**EDIT**

Okay here are some pictures

http://suprfile.com/src/2/1piz3yl/pool7 070606.jpg (http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=1piz3yl) http://suprfile.com/src/2/1pj1jbw/pool1-070606.jpg (http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=1pj1jbw) http://suprfile.com/src/2/1pjanm7/pool6 070606.jpg (http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=1pjanm7)

matt4x4
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I apologize beforehand for saying this Ben, but these people are FIRST CLASS IDIOTS, they're concerned over THAT???
That's gotta be one of the least intrusive construction jobs I've seen in my life.
Well, I sure hope they put in a pool as well, not so they can have fun swimming, but so YOU can have fun with the PAYBACK.
Oh, and if they ask you for advice on pool buiders to choose, make sure you recommend the worst one out there!

This just sounds like they're thinking that they can make some money on this!
Don't people have better things to do with their time, what's this world coming to??????

chrisexv6
07-07-2006, 04:09 PM
If they get on your case during the install, imagine what they would have to say when they find out you'll use *bleach* to chlorinate the pool.

Are you trying to poison them when they go swimming? ;)

I wish you luck. I know we hear it alot ("kill them with kindness") but Ive never been good at it....I suppose in the end it might actually work out, but while you're enduring the pain you just wanna do the first part ("kill them").

Luckily Ive been blessed with very nice neighbors that dont mind if I have to drive a little over their yard (sometimes backing into my back yard with a truck load of mulch is hard to do). Ive extended them the same privelage and we all seem to get along.

-Chris

joliecharlie
07-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Your story gives good reason to take BEFORE photos of your yard and the neighbors yard...on both sides. I work in the dental field and is amazing how short folks memories of how things "used to look" good or bad.Thankfully we live on 5 acres and my neighbor has 10 acres... I fuss at her all the time for letting her leaves blow in my yard and she complains about our pine cones!!!:D

Pool_Mike
07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
who gives @ crap what they request and want. It is your property and you tell them you will put your pumps where ever youwant. You pay your property taxes and mortgage, not them!!

Only thing I will tell them is you will hide the pump equipment when the time comes and also it would look nicer. But honestly it is none of there darn business. Put your foot down. I moved from our last neighborhood b/c our neigbors were total ^&%!!!!!
I rest asure now,, I will not take any BS from no neighbor now!!

Tell them how it is!! Plain and simple!! :)

Good luck!!

rbonin
07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Neighbors - they come in all kinds.

Here's our pool/ neighbor story (I'll keep it brief):

We decided to build an inground pool in Feb. 2003. The kids were at an age where we hoped to keep them around the house during their teens! Anyway, before we got into it much at all, we approached the neighbors on each side of the house, both of whom we had good relationships with. On the side where all the pool construction equipment would traverse, the neighbor agreed immediately to cooperate (we promised to restore his yard and irrigation after construction). But the other neighbor, whose yard would not be impacted at all, really pushed back. They were childless (but young) and were concerned my kids would have wild pool parties. We shrugged our shoulders since we really did not need their permission.

We proceeded working with the builder and finally on June 3rd we got permits. Two days later we were served a summons - the "bad" neighbor was sueing us and obtained a restraining order! Something about "spoiling the parklike setting of our subdivision". The next 3 months were spent with our lawyer and in court, but in early September, the judge ruled in our favor. Unfortunately in August, the pool builder disappeared with our down payment (and several others too). It was all over the local news. So by this time we had spent $6,000 on legal fees and lost $15,000 in down payment.

The "bad" neighbor put his house up for sale 1 week after the ruling and was gone by November. Good riddence. Our lawyer hooked us up with a repudable pool builder and by Nov, we had a beautiful new pool all ready to close for the winter. We will be paying for it for the rest of our lives, but after what we went through, we were going to have a pool!

We now have a wonderful neighbor in the house that was sold, and I heard they the "bad" neighbors split up and moved to different cities. Sob sob. Moral of my story: watch out for your "bad" neighbor". Some people always have to be right, nothing will make them happy, and they will stop at nothing to get their way.

Good luck with your pool - it will be worth it in the end.

~Rick~

Simmons99
07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Update -

I am wondering now if they have more of a mental disease or just mental illness. We recieved a letter from them demanding $75. This was because our pool company drove over some pineapple plants they had planted just outside their property line (community property) and because the pool company used their hose a couple of weeks ago and the nozzle leaks now.

So instead of coming over and talking to us - they went out and bought really nice pots, potting soil, new pineapples, and a new nozzle and want us to pay for it. (BTW - the original plants were in the gournd). Also we are horrible neighbors because we are putting them through all this anxiety over the last few months (the project started 22 days ago) and we have completely ruined their yard. Now they have all these huge boulders in their yard and we should have had the pool installed when the house was built and now we are even more awful because we won't move our pool equipment to the other side of the yard.

Last night when I got home (it was dark) - we went outside to take pictures of their old pineapple plants. It was dark so the flash went off. These plants are right on the property line between our houses and the community property that surrounds the pond. So we walk back to our porch and they come flying out of the back of their house with a flashlight looking for "who was in the backyard". DH and I were laughing so hard I thought I was going to puke - can you believe these people - I think they are unstable.:confused:

Okay - NOTHING has been done since my last pictures, except the plumber came out on 7/9 and fixed a leak and fixed the grade a little - we had water pooling against the foundation. The yard looks the same (but with some weeds) as it did in the pictures previously posted.

I have attached the letter we left them today.

PS - we are getting boxer pup in a few weeks - hopefully they will have a nervous breakdown and move :)

OLD Pineapple Plants (7/17)
http://suprfile.com/src/2/1wxrry8/old_pineappleplants.jpg (http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=1wxrry8)

NEW Pineapple Plants (7/17)
http://suprfile.com/src/2/1wxuka2/new_pineapple_plants.jpg (http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=1wxuka2)

CarlD
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
If they planted outside their property it now belongs to the owner of that land.

When we moved in, the previous owners had planted a lovely peach tree. When we went to fence the yard for the dog, the tree turned out to be on their property.

No issue, not our tree. Simple, no easement either.

Taking longer than it should? Well, that's usually a cause for SYMPATHY, not enmity--That's what I feel for the folks behind us--took 13 months from cutting down the trees between us (though we were assured by the builder that leaving the trees was required---HAH!) to swimming in their pool. Should have been done in 3, max. Now there's water running on to our yard. I've spoken gently to them and they've been OK with it. Turns out, their landscaper hit an aquafer and redirected it and left it running on their property--so THEY are ticked at their landscaper. So I can "be on their side" so it all smooths out--as long as they take care of it.

Simmons99
07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
We WERE really trying to be good neighbors and anytime I start thinking about doing something out of spite - I think "would a good neighbor do that?" - it will keep me out of trouble :D

Luvtlee
07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow, that is really awful. That must be just horrible. I'm thankful that my neighbors on both sides aren't complaining about anything, even though the pool construction seems to be going on endlessly.

My sympathy goes out to you, I hope that no further problems arise with them.

adillenal
07-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Not that it is an option for everyone, but I sure am glad I live out in the country even though I have to drive 11 miles to town. There are no neighbors to complain about anything we do.
Good luck with settling everything.

tagprod
07-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I had to re-run an electrical line that went to a transformer on my neighbors side of the fence in his easement. We also had to dig up some bushes next to the transformer. I didn't legally need to compensate him for any of this, but I went out and bout some new bushes and re-planted for him. It seemed like the neighborly thing to do.

I'm not sure how young these "kids" are (30?) but I would be embarassed as a man to conduct myself like this or to allow my wife to act this way. If I have a problem or concern, I would have taken it to your husband and tried to work it out.

CanuckPool
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I would take the two pineapples and throw it through their windows.:D :D :D

sevver
07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
When I worked Construction, I had a lady ask us what we were doing with our dirt, she told us she would like two semi loads and gave us an address and told us to just dump it in the front yard. We thought: cool, we can save the company a few hundred bucks, so we walked down there and looked at it. No one was home, and I doubt you could have fit a wheel barrow between the garage and house, there was also a gate there. We did peek in the back yard and could see no reason for wanting this dirt, and we figured that it was a neighborhood fight or something.

Gotta watch them neighbors, they can get creative. lol

Simmons99
07-28-2006, 01:19 PM
sevver - that is funny! It is very hard sometimes - but since we have sent them the letter and the $20 they don't even look at us. Good riddens!

I have a landscape designer coming this afternoon for estimate on a PVC fence and some thorny bushes for that side of the yard.:D

joliecharlie
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind that ..."what goes around ...comes around" Enjoy your pool and the fast growing shrubbery planted between your home and theirs. :D

ivyleager
07-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I am SO glad I live several acres away from my neighbor. I see "slab" home communities going up more frequently, hardly spitting distance away. I cringe when I see their price tag, hardly cheap. I'll take my older brick ranch, on +3 acres, bordered by Army Corp of Engineering land/water shed anyday. Bought, paid for, done.

When you kill with kindness, sooner or later the other person(s) is reduced to pettiness. When you argue with a lunatic, others watching won't be able to tell the difference. Good luck.

CaryB
Caniac

Pool_Mike
08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Simmons99,

How are things now? I mean w/ the neighbor and all?

Hope all is well.

Simmons99
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Actually - they hadn't said a word to us since we sent them our "reply" letter........ until yesterday - you must have jinxed us:D .

We got our new boxer puppy and they saw us outside with her and they came over like there was no problem at all - they didn't complain about anything - and they actually complimented us on the way that the pool looks with the pavers in (I will post the pics later).

DH and I think that they noticed the people in the front of the subdivision who just got started on their pool. Both the people that are having the pool buiot AND their neighbors have had backhoes in their front yards for 4 days :eek: - haven't moved and nothing is happening. Our site looks spotless compared to it. I hope they have realized that they were being unreasonable.

Hopefully (assuming no other issues arise), we should be totally complete (landscaping and everything) by next Sunday.

Jeffski
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
To play devil's advocate for a moment you have to realize that it would be extremely frustrating for them to be inconvenienced for your pool. They have every right to tell you exactly what they want done with their property (assuming it was damage caused by you) as long as it's done in a professional manner. They sound like the type of people who just like to whine and complain about everything, and I have no patience for that either.

I just had my lawn reseeded which included my neighbors lawn and fixing his sprinkler heads, and I made sure I didn't bother him with any of it. He will also be getting a bottle of wine when the yard is done.

I was also on the other end of it last year when my neighbor (on the other side) put his pool in. We were and still are great friends and they made sure they didn't inconvenience us as much as possible.

Simmons99
08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Jeffski -

I hear you - I totally was REALLY nice - you can read the letter I got from them on my link in my signature (last page) and then you can read the letter I sent them back. You can also see pictures of their yard, etc.

I have NO problem doing the right thing - when I know about it and they are allowing us to fix it. We really are trying to be good neighbors because I am not moving anytime soon. The whole process from fix the last house to put on the market, build a new house, finally get the old house sold, then fix this house how we want is has been going on since Feb. 2005- I need some rest:) (and so does my wallet:) )

Simmons99
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Update - well world war three has begun again.....

Tuesday - I noticed one of their sprinkler heads as broken again. I went over and talked with the guy - he said "it's been like that for 2 weeks". Told him we would have it fixed this week - and in the future please tell us since I had just noticed it. (This was at 5pm)

6pm: They asked us if we were using propane - I said yes. The guy says "so your burrying the tank" - I say "no - the city wouldn't give us a permit for a burried tank - but we are planning on putting something around it like a fence." Guy says "well that will be great to look at" - I ask "a fence? We don't want to look at it - so we are going to put up a fence" - He says "well you don't have windows on that side of the house." So I repeat "we are going to put up a fence as soon as the HOA approves the installation"

He continues "well there is a problem with the grade - we have water pooling between the houses" I state - "well when we had the rain storm (2" in about 4 hours) I came out and everything was draining fine" He continues to rant - I tell him "we will have the pool company look at it"

9:45pm - door bell rings - the have turned on their sprinklers and they have water pooling between the houses - remember - this is the area where there is a BROKEN sprinkler head. I tell them that we will call the pool company and have them come out and look at it. They start getting agitated and start complaining about the water again - so I say "It's 9:45 at night - there is nothing I can do about it now. I will call the pool company in the morning and let them know that you are concerned about the grade and to come out and look at it"

TODAY - okay they have told the sprinkler company to not come on their property to fix the sprinklers - that they are going to hire their own company and then make us pay for it. I guess this was because the guy called our sprinkler repair person and told them "Our sprinkler system is completly off-line and we cannot water our lawn and it is dying" and the sprinkler guy told him that it was one head and that the system works - since he has seen them turn it on 2 days ago. So the neighbor got mad at him and told him to not come on his property. Too bad - the sprinkler guy had already fixed the head before the guy called him. Wonder what they are going to do now????:confused:

GraceByDesign
08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh my gosh what a nightmare for you. Sounds like these are some of the most miserable people on the planet... nothing to do but complain about everything. :rolleyes:
It sounds to me like you have gone WAY out of your way to be cooperative during this process. I mean, what did they expect??
And re: the grass dying, HELLO, they could use a hose and sprinkler like those of us who don't have the LUXURY of a sprinkler system!
They will probably rip out the new sprinkler head just for spite. :eek:

Ok, done helping you in your rant!! :D

gonefishin
08-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I hate to say it...

But it seems like they may be going after you for an entire new lawn (and possibly landscaping as well), due to the sprinkler system being down. You have bent over backwards, but it was not good enough. I've no doubt that whatever agreement you come to will never be good enough and that as long as you continue to "make good" that you will prolong your own agony...and (I'd bet) they'll continue to throw more and more demands at you as well.

I would kindly inform them that you will not be continuing with this any more. I would offer up no explanations or appologies...it seems that this will only add fuel for them to come at you with further demands.

I'd also seek legal advice on how to bring this to an end.

good luck,
dan

momof2grlz
08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Wow! What a couple of wackos. We haven't started construction of our pool yet, but I hope our "good" neighbor doesn't turn out like yours. Before I spent another dime on sprinkler repairs and pineapple plants, I would spend money to consult with an attorney. I'll bet once he sends them a nice letter indicating that you are willing to return their property to its original condition -and nothing more, their shenanigans will stop. I'm sure he will also point out their duty to mitigate any damage. In other words they can't refuse to run their entire sprinkler system and let their yard die because of a couple of broken sprinkler heads and then expect you to replace their yard.

I wouldn't worry about trying to appease these people any more. After everything they've put you through, I doubt you're ever going to be one big, happy Wisteria Lane neighborhood.

Simmons99
08-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Now they have called the city building department about the grade being incorrect. The only reason I know about it is because the head inspector for the building department went to high school with our project manager. I have no idea what this guy expects...

The pool builder tells me that the grade matches the initial survey on our property - but DH and I will check it tonight anyway - How do you determine height without a surveyor? My foundation is supposed to be at 16.33' and the side yard is supposed to be at 15.5' - do I take a stake and run a string and measure the difference?

Neighbor guy left a couple of voice mails on my cell this morning (I was in meetings) about how rude our sprinkler people were and that they don't return his calls - then they call him at work and yell at him...

I call him back and he starts ranting - so I say "well there are always to sides to the story, but I am sorry that he upset you - but from what I understand the sprinkler head that was broken is already fixed" He continues with - "he called me at work!" - I apologize again (god I hate these people) - I get him to agree that he will meet up with us tonight to make sure that the installation is acceptable. Probably won't be - but at least we can come to an agreement - and I will send it over in writing. Then if they keep it up - I will have our attorney issue them a letter to send all correspondence through him - This is such a pain:mad:

tenax
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
i agree that it's time to take it to an attorney. likely for 150 dollars max you can get a letter from the lawyer to them if you provide a quick chronological sequence of events from start to present on paper. i'm not a lawyer, but have been involved enough with lawyers/hr folk in issues with people who work for me or my reports to know that:

a) when someone starts putting things on paper, there's a reason.

b) there is also a reason that they pepper with words like "anxiety".

a few bucks now will safeguard you down the road from any potentially more expensive issues.

Simmons99
08-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Update - met with the guy tonight and took video of all the sprinklers working correctly - he still seems to think that the grade is not right. So we are going to move some dirt, but it looks like it is draining correctly. We live in a swamp that was filled to build houses, so the drainage is not great anyway.

Gas company rescheduled us until next Tuesday - so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

CarlD
08-19-2006, 08:48 AM
This is so sad. All the drainage problems I had with my three neighbors at the back corner of my property are all nicely resolved. We worked it out, I don't believe there are any hard feelings, and it's all done. I literally had a swamp growing because the landscaper popped open and artesian spring, and walked away. The customer (my neighbor) also had a soggy yard so solving HIS problems with the landscaper solved part of mine. The rest were solved by me splitting repairs with my next door neighbor and the catty-corner one having HIS landscaper adjust things.

Sometimes people ARE better than you expect. Sometimes they are worse.

tenax
08-19-2006, 08:56 AM
meant to mention having read the letter they provided to you that at least on paper they still appear to be relatively cordial (More cordial than i thought they would be at given the situations you've had with them)..but, it still appears this issue is being "papered" for backup if necessary.