PDA

View Full Version : salt system and chemical needs

waterbear
04-05-2006, 11:48 AM
DON'T GET SUCKED INTO USING IT! You will waste a lot of money. Have them balance and staiblize your water and just use plain solar or pool salt at about $5/bag and muriactic acid for pH control! Even better, get a good drop based test kit (like Ben's PS234S with the salt option--better value for the money that the equiqalent kits from Taylor Technoligies!), test the water yourself, and take care of your own pool and save even more money. Salt systems are SO easy to take care of and if you don't know how this forum is the place to learn! Mineral springs ( and also Natural Chamistries Salt Water Magic) are expensive and put stuff in your pool that is supposed to balance your water but you have NO control of whether it is the right amount or even necessary for your pool!

waterbear
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
That's strange! this is a bit off topic but my reply in the post is before the question when I view it in linear mode! could it be because the timestamps on the posts are showing a later time for the orignal post than for my reply?

bobnj
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow that was quick. Thanks a lot.

With the Autopilot and a Polaris my pool maintenance has been so simple I've wondered why neighbors pay for regular maintenance and chemical checks. My water has always seemed fine but I have wondered if maybe I've been missing something. But that settles it. The regular bioguard type chemicals obviously aren't needed.
My last guy really knew what he was doing and I hope this guy doesn't screw something up opening it.

Thanks again.

bobnj
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
My first post.

I have a pool pilot digital salt system in my 3 year old pool. I've had a pool guy open and close for me but he can no longer do it. The new company I've tentatively scheduled told me they use bioguard mineral springs chemical system which requires adding a renewal pruduct weekly. In three seasons, I've never done anything to my water other than check chlorine and PH. It regularly requires acid, which is normal for a new gunnite pool, but other than that my pool water has been completely maintenance free. In fact my old pool guy told me that after he adjusted the water in the spring I wouldn't need any further chemicals.

I'm nervous about using a new pool company and I'm wondering if they're right about adding some new Bioguard type chemical system. Was my pool water missing something in the past even though it seemed fine?

By the way, this is my first pool, but I love the Autopilot.

Watermom
04-05-2006, 05:46 PM
That's strange! this is a bit off topic but my reply in the post is before the question when I view it in linear mode! could it be because the timestamps on the posts are showing a later time for the orignal post than for my reply?

Waterbear - Check your preferences. You can either set it to show the oldest post first or the newest one first in the list. I have a feeling that is what is happening.

Watermom

waterbear
04-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Waterbear - Check your preferences. You can either set it to show the oldest post first or the newest one first in the list. I have a feeling that is what is happening.

Watermom
Nope , that was not the problem. Already have it set to show the oldest first. For some reason my posts have timestamps of 11:48 and 11:53 am and the original post a timestamp of 12:07 pm. Must have been a computer clock hiccup somewhere. At any rate it seems to have more or less resolved itself.

CarlD
04-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Can I use that to go back to last Saturday morning? I'd decide NOT to go to karate....even though nothing happened, I came home with a back that has me doubled up like a question mark--but the question is STILL how the heck did it happen?

But if I could use Waterbear's method to fix the problem before it happens......Where is Star Trek and the "Temporal Police" when I need them????;)

aylad
04-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I dunno, but it sure threw me for a loop when I opened this thread the first time! :confused:

Janet

waterbear
04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
so it was NOT just me that had the problem with the posts being in the wrong order. I thought I was back in the 70's for a minute...never mind:D

bethsg
04-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I just want to second the don't get hooked into BioGuard advise... I actually have a mineral springs unit I bought on ebay for $86, and have never used a drop of bio guard products... I stick with Muratic Acid, Leslies CYA and this year, I do have to add a bit of calcium. I buy my salt from Home Depot, Morton Coarse Solar salt.... this works well.... don't get caught up...get educated...

waste
04-19-2006, 07:51 PM
so it was NOT just me that had the problem with the posts being in the wrong order. I thought I was back in the 70's for a minute...never mind:D

I'm telling you, IT'S THE "BROWN" MAN !!!