PDA

View Full Version : salt and chemical maintenance

waterbear
04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
DON'T GET SUCKED INTO USING IT! You will waste a lot of money. Have them balance and staiblize your water and just use plain solar or pool salt at about $5/bag and muriactic acid for pH control! Even better, get a good drop based test kit (like Ben's PS234S with the salt option--better value for the money that the equiqalent kits from Taylor Technologies!), test the water yourself, and take care of your own pool and save even more money. Salt systems are SO easy to take care of and if you don't know how this forum is the place to learn! Mineral springs ( and also Natural Chamistries Salt Water Magic) are expensive and put stuff in your pool that is supposed to balance your water but you have NO control of whether it is the right amount or even necessary for your pool!

Also, it really isn't necessary to double post. Your questions Will get answered on here! :)

bobnj
04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I have a pool pilot digital salt system in my 3 year old pool. I've had a pool guy open and close for me but he can no longer do it. The new company I've tentatively scheduled told me they use bioguard mineral springs chemical system which requires adding a renewal pruduct weekly. In three seasons, I've never done anything to my water other than check chlorine and PH. It regularly requires acid, which is normal for a new gunnite pool, but other than that my pool water has been completely maintenance free. In fact my old pool guy told me that after he adjusted the water in the spring I wouldn't need any further chemicals.

I'm nervous about using a new pool company and I'm wondering if they're right about adding some new Bioguard type chemical system. Was my pool water missing something in the past even though it seemed fine?

By the way, this is my first pool, but I love the Autopilot.

Thanks in advance

PatL34
04-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I have a pool pilot digital salt system in my 3 year old pool. I've had a pool guy open and close for me but he can no longer do it. The new company I've tentatively scheduled told me they use bioguard mineral springs chemical system which requires adding a renewal pruduct weekly. In three seasons, I've never done anything to my water other than check chlorine and PH. It regularly requires acid, which is normal for a new gunnite pool, but other than that my pool water has been completely maintenance free. In fact my old pool guy told me that after he adjusted the water in the spring I wouldn't need any further chemicals.

I'm nervous about using a new pool company and I'm wondering if they're right about adding some new Bioguard type chemical system. Was my pool water missing something in the past even though it seemed fine?

By the way, this is my first pool, but I love the Autopilot.

Thanks in advance

I would find a company who will close and open your pool without adding ANY chemicals that they feel THEY should use in your salt water pool. They are trying to sell you chemicals you do not need with your present setup.

Your past experience tells me your gut feeling is correct. Many members here will tell you that they changed to liquid chlorine or SWC from Bioguard for that reason.

Hope you have luck in finding a more helpful dealer.

Pat