PDA

View Full Version : Re: tiny bubbles

rcastorani
06-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I do not have a test kit but I am using the test strips and according to them all the test results are all normal. I shocked the pool 2 weeks ago after a party and again last night after a rain storm. I also added baking soda last week due to low alkalinity. I also added algecide last week, for the first time.

Other than the foamy bubbles everything seems fine.

Do I need to buy a test kit and can you recommend one.

Thanks

Simmons99
06-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes you need a test kit - a 5-way DROPS based test kit is usually available at Wal-Mart. Taylor's makes a good kit and Ben's kit (available on www.poolsolutions.com).

You will need to post your chlorine level, PH, ALK, CA, and CYA. You can probably take a sample to your pool store for results today- but don't buy anything. Just post your numbers and get a good test kit.

Welcome to the forum - this place has a lot of very good information:) .

aylad
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Your bubbles are almost certainly from the algaecide. And yes, add another vote for the test kit--get a good, drop-based kit, it will pay for itself over and over again.

Janet

PhantomAndy
06-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Certianly get a drop based kit...

Ben's is great (I bought mine last year) but the Wal-Mart 5 way will do the trick, but only has 2 CYA (Stabilizer) tests in it - probably sufficient for one season really.

I also agree that the bubbles are likely from the algecide. If you are keeping your water properly balanced you won't need very much (if any at all) algecide. I usually have to add a quart mid summer to fight of a little persistent algae, but that's about all. Only use the 60% Polyquat type algecide - stay away from anything else.

By the way - the strips are notorious for giving spotty test results at best.