PDA

View Full Version : Loop Loc cover question/advice

rtpatter
04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Last Fall I had a loop loc cover professionally installed. My question is what are the procedures for removing and storing the cover. It looks like all I need to do is use the pry bar to remove the springs from the bolts in the ground and then screw in the bolts so that they recess into the ground.

Are there any tricks to the removal process? Is there anything I need to do to the cover before I store it for the summer? Also how long can I wait to open my pool. I live in Alabama the temp. is already in the mid 70's I realize that algae is probably setting up in my pool. However, I would really like to wait another few weeks until all the pollen has fallen from the trees before I open because the pool won't truly get used until late May anyway.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

leejp
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Drag the cover out to the driveway
Hose it off, gently scrub clean (I don't use soap)
let it dry completely
fold up and store in bag

Unscrew and Remove all anchors
Clean any dirt/soil off the anchors
vacuum out all anchor sleeves
generously coat the anchors/sleeve threads with the solid silicon lube (the same stuff for the pool plumbing o-rings)
screw the anchors completwly down
wipe off excess lube

I used to have a problem with stubborn anchors and have had to use PB Blaster to get them loose but never since I started with the silicon lube application.

rtpatter
04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Where do I buy the solid silicon lube? Also what do you use to clean, you said you don't use soap? Do you just use plain water and lightly scrub with a pool brush? My cover actually doesn't seem dirty at all, although as the pollen starts to fall it is now accumulating more debris than ever. Do I still have to scrub clean.

Also any advice on how long I can leave the cover on without risking a major mess or possibly staining the liner?

Thanks

rtpatter
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I had thought of this but I am afraid that the chemicals would somehow damage the liner. If I am going to start running the pump and adding bleach I would rather have the cover off to where I can see the entire pool and properly judge clarity as well as anything else that might be going on. However that thought has crossed my mind as I have read on this forum where others have done that.

Thanks for the feedback

JohnT
04-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Where do I buy the solid silicon lube? Also what do you use to clean, you said you don't use soap? Do you just use plain water and lightly scrub with a pool brush? My cover actually doesn't seem dirty at all, although as the pollen starts to fall it is now accumulating more debris than ever. Do I still have to scrub clean.

Also any advice on how long I can leave the cover on without risking a major mess or possibly staining the liner?

Thanks

Why not start operating the filter/chlorinating without removing the cover? That will keep the oak pollen out without allowing algae.

leejp
04-05-2006, 01:12 PM

Thanks

Solid silicone lube/grease is available at any pool store. You should have some in your toolbox for the pump/plumbing o-rings anyway.

I just hose the cover off without using any soap/cleaner because I do not want to introduce ANY foreign chemical to the pool water. It reallly doen't require cleaners anyway.

Tomcat
04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Shame on your "professional" installer for not demonstrating the installation and removal techniques. If you haven't figured it out yet, to remove the rings, position the tool over the bolt with the longer extension on the pool side. Twist the tool, allowing the extension to come between the ring and the bolt. This should allow the ring to pop off.

Installing is straight forward, but I was surprised at the force required. Place the tool through the ring and over the bolt. Have the ring about a foot up the tool. Place your foot over spring/plastic cover and pull away from the pool while maintaining foot pressure. Step down to slide ring to the surface and over the bolt.

Fold the cover using the Z-fold technique.

Lubing would be a good idea, but I don't think it's required every year. This is my 4th year with no lube and all bolts easily screw in/out. I do hose them off with a forceful stream to remove any dirt/particles before screwing them in, though.

sunofthebeach
04-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Also how long can I wait to open my pool. I live in Alabama the temp. is already in the mid 70's I realize that algae is probably setting up in my pool. However, I would really like to wait another few weeks until all the pollen has fallen from the trees before I open because the pool won't truly get used until late May anyway.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

Is your cover solid or mesh. If it is solid, I believe you can wait until late May without any problems as no sunlight will get through.

If it is mesh, sunlight will get through and your water will turn green probably in late April/early May if you don't do something