PDA

View Full Version : What's *wrong* with salt?

mabrolat
04-05-2006, 02:46 AM
We're in the prep phase for building our own 18x36 IG diving pool in So Cal. I keep reading raves about SWGs and my own sister raves about her "salt water pool." So -- what's the negative? For a new installation, is there any reason NOT to install a SWG?
-M

waterbear
04-05-2006, 02:57 AM
other than the initial cost, non whatsoever IMHO. I have an Aqualogic PS-8 on my pool/spa combo and I love it.:D The biggest downside seems to be the necessity to keep adding acid since a constant upward pH creep is a byproduct of electrolytic chlorine generation but practicacly eliminating the formation of chloriamines in the water far outweighs it! (I know I will get blasted for THAT comment!:rolleyes:)

SJohnson
04-05-2006, 03:27 AM
That pretty much covers it, price and acid demand . . . Lots of negatives for the pool stores . . . just those two for us . . .

SJohnson

mwsmith2
04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Agreed, they are expensive, but can be found for a good price on fleabay. Acid addition for me is about 1 qt a week during summer for a 20K/gal pool. There is additional power requirements to make the Cl, although I haven't taken the time to calculate how much that really is. The biggest savings is that I spend about 20 minutes a month fiddling with the chemistry of the pool.

Michael

estermer
04-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I heard from a friend that because salt is corrosive, it can damage your coping and deck. Anyone have any experience with that?

mwsmith2
04-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Not at the concentrations used with a SWC. It's around 3200 PPM, which is barely detectable by taste.

Michael

Katy-Texas
04-22-2006, 04:04 AM
I to am also happy with salt system pool, don't think the water will hurt the deck but pool builder advised against using the fountain attachment continuously as wind will carry the spray onto deck for extended period and when dry leave salt behind. Then again should just wash off with bit of scrub if I ever have that problem.