PDA

View Full Version : Solar pool heaters

ellenicol
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
We are getting a new 24' AG pool and are thinking about getting solar panels as we live in Upstate NY and it's cold!! Anyway what kind are the best for your money(think inexpensive) and do I need anything else to hook them up. For example I saw on Ebay the sungrabber kind for around a hundred bucks. If I bought these is it enough for a 24' and is that all I need? I saw something about a diverter kit do I need one of those. Thanks so much. Love this forum. Was up reading for about 2 hours last night! So much info.

prh129
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
For a 24' AG, most companies recommend a total of 4' x 20' of heating area. Some companies sell 2' x 20' sections so you would need two of those. A diverter valve is helpful as once you get the water as warm as you want, you can bypass the heater. If your pool (and heater) gets decent sun exposure, the pool will warm pretty quickly.

I have a 24' round AG and got a Fafco solar heater because it was a single 4' x 20' mat and it has the bypass valve built in. It was not the cheapest, but if you had to buy the diverter kit as an option then it propably works out the same or less.

Peter