PDA

View Full Version : Pump timer question

The Raddish
06-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I have a 24' x 52" above ground pool with a 1Hp Astral pump and a Hayward 220T filter. The pump will be replaced this fall or winter during the end of season sales and price drops. I want to get the 1/2 Hp Hayword recommended on the Pool Solutions page.

I also have a timer that has seven settings per day. I'd like to minimize the pump time to reduce power consumption (obviously), but I also want to keep my water as pristine as possible (obviously).

As I am new to pool ownership, what would be an ideal schedule for me to start with my timer? Also, what I'm really looking for is why any suggested schedules are ideal. I want to make sure I understand why I am doing whatever it is I do. :)

prh129
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
The "ideal" timer settings probably depend on your individual circumstances - when do you add chomicals to the pool? you probably want the pump running for at least an hour after you do that - when is it likely that the pool will be used the most? how much sun do you get? are you using a solar heater? does the water get too warm? - The answers to these questions should help you decide when to run your pump. I don't think there is any "wrong way" to do it. I run mine from about 9am to 1pm then 5 to 9:30PM. Based on my pool volume and pump I need to run my pump for 8 hours to get 2x the volume pumped through it.

Peter

aquarium
06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I can't find the link, but it said run the pump for one hour per 10 degrees F of temperature. Not sure if that was air or water, but I'm in central Texas so I'm running it 9 hours a day, from 11AM to 8PM. That schedule gives me some time in the evening after the sun is off the pool to add bleach and acid.

I run the Polaris 180 booster pump for only a couple of hours near the front end of the main pump time. We swim mostly in the afternoon, so this schedule makes the pool nicest for that.