PDA

View Full Version : Q's about going into pool business?

BillyBumbler
06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I don't know if it's taboo or not here, but after taking care of my new pool and learning all that I have about chemistry and equipment, and also due to the fact that I live in a very hot landlocked city that has seen a lot of growth lately and a HUGE explosion in pool construction, I was very interested in getting into the pool cleaning business. Was hoping to ask quite a few questions in this thread, but want to know if the subject is allowed first. Haven't found anything in a search.

waterbear
06-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Don't know the laws in your state but you might need to become a CPO first.

BillyBumbler
06-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Actually I am considering doing that even though it's not required where I live. It's required only in certain counties, such as Los Angeles County south of me. Here all you need is a business license, a contractor's license if you make repairs over $500, and a resellers license if you sell anything. But I would do whatever it takes to get a leg up, including taking the CPO course. I was just looking for any advice from those in the business. For instance, do I buy a route from someone or should I try to start one on my own? If I could find training without having to purchase customers that would be ideal, but I don't see how this is possible.

Poolsean
07-03-2006, 02:37 AM
If Bakersfield is starting to explode, you're in good position to advertize and gain customers, rather than buying routes. Most companies that sell off routes tend to toss in a bunch of their dead beat customers too.
You may do well speaking with some builders and working a deal with them. Service companies sometimes work a deal where they provide the first month of new service for the builder, which ensures that the pool is started up and operated properly for the first month, at least. After that, you extent the offer to the pool owner for service. You do not get paid for that first month, but it gives you a higher chance of new customer leads, as long as you do a great job.
The rest is up to you.

You'll want to get in with a good supplier/distributor too. SCP and Superior are probably going to be the bigger suppliers out there.

WORD OF ADVICE, once you get in the pool industry, it's very hard to get out!
uuuggghhhh.......going on 20 years this December.
If you get in, the first Trade show, Pool Industry Expo, is in Monterrey Bay (end of Sept) and the last, Western Spa and Pool Show, is in Long Beach (March). In between is APSP International show in Las Vegas (Nov).
Hope to see you there.

Good luck.

Good luck.

BillyBumbler
07-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Thank you for the kind advice. That helps a lot considering how nervous I am about all of this. Been in the family business since graduating high school (dairy farm operation) and feel that I am just not happy with it anymore. This is a huge deal for me. Anyway, I have decided not to start this summer, I feel I am not ready, not armed with enough information to make a good name for myself. Cleaning and maintaining a pool seems simple enough after all I've learned here and on my new pool, but the first time someone calls me with a serious problem or a repair, I'll be in trouble. So I am going to find out where the local Ipssa guys meet and see who I can make friends with. I'll get all my ducks lined up (business license, DBA, etc. etc). I was thinking of taking the TECH courses offered by NSPI (good idea?). Go to the conventions you mentioned (Hope to see you there as well) and by early next season, if I'm not ready to make a good go of it I'll never be ready I guess. If anyone can think of any other suggestions for me, I'm all ears!

Thanks again.

Frank

Poolsean
07-03-2006, 03:27 AM
"Been in the family business since graduating high school (dairy farm operation) and feel that I am just not happy with it anymore."
***Heck, if you can milk a cow, you can service a pool.

"Anyway, I have decided not to start this summer, I feel I am not ready, not armed with enough information to make a good name for myself. Cleaning and maintaining a pool seems simple enough after all I've learned here and on my new pool, but the first time someone calls me with a serious problem or a repair, I'll be in trouble."
***LOL...I'm sure there are some "closet" pool service people on here that won't admit it, just searching for answers to "serious problems" too.
You should make sure you get the proper licenses for what you want to do. A pool maintenance company, from what I understand, cannot do repairs.

So I am going to find out where the local Ipssa guys meet and see who I can make friends with.
***IPSSA is a good organization, as long as the board of directors for that chapter are not stagnant "good ole' boys". However, they are for the most part highly into education so take advantage of this.

I'll get all my ducks lined up (business license, DBA, etc. etc). I was thinking of taking the TECH courses offered by NSPI (good idea?).
***Yes, education is always a good idea. Take advantage of distributor seminars too. As I mentioned, SCP or Superior distributors, are a good resource. They will most likely have a bulletin board that may announce seminars or classes. This is usualy to the trade only, so letting them know your intentions, or by getting your licenses now, just so you can establish a relationship with them, may be wise.

Go to the conventions you mentioned (Hope to see you there as well) and by early next season, if I'm not ready to make a good go of it I'll never be ready I guess. If anyone can think of any other suggestions for me, I'm all ears!
***I highly recommend the conventions and take advantage of attending as many classes you can. These are fairly well attended, and taught classes. I should know, I'm an instructor for the salt chlorine generator classes offered at almost all the pool biz trade shows. lol...

Feel free to correspond directly with me if you wish...
sassam@teamhorner.com

BillyBumbler
07-03-2006, 03:37 AM
Thanks again, and I will keep your email handy, I may call on you for guidance one day if you don't mind, lol. As for the repairs, my understanding is that as long as the bill is less than $500, no contractor's license is needed. Requirements are pretty lax where I live. Honestly, a business license and a net are about it. That's not the route I want to take, however...There was actually an article in the local paper a few weeks ago lamenting a lack of qualified pool service techs for the ever growing number of pools in our town. The good ones apparently have waiting lists.