PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cover?

albertgarrido
06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Okay...I know this is the wrong place to put this, but no one is reading the "Fall Prep" thread cause I guess no one is thinking about it :-)

However, I want to be ready.
So looking for some info.

I have a 20x40 IG vinyl pool with steps to the one side and a swimout in the deep end.

I want to get one of the good solid covers that I've seen an elephant standing on :-)

Any idea best place to buy?
I don't want to have to drill any holes in my concrete myself. I want someone else to do the measruing, drilling, etc. (except I'll put on the cover myself in the fall)

Any help would be appreciated.

mer1844
06-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I would recommed contacting a local swimming pool installer for pricing and installation.

Installation cost shouldn't be that much. I had one installed at the end of last season. It may have taken 2 guys an hour at the most to drill the holes, install the plugs, put the springs on the straps, and completely install the cover.

It does work. I don't have any elephants in my neighborhood, but I do have a stupid bassett hound that lives next door. I was doing something around the pool pump and had left the gate open. I happen to look up, and there stood that stupid dog in the middle of my safety cover. I finally got him to walk off, and before I could run him off, he walked across it again.

PhantomAndy
06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Be sure when you are shopping around that you are getting a true solid cover.

There are two types of safety covers, mesh and solid. The mesh cover appears solid, but it's actually a fine mesh that will allow both water and light through the cover.

Solid covers are basically the same as mesh, but the material is a reinforced vinyl material that is UV stabilized to withstand the harsh winter sun. The solid covers typically have a mesh drain panel in the center of the cover to allow the water to drain through into the pool.

Pros of Solid Covers:

The solid covers do a great job of blocking the sunlight out of the water which is the greatest single contributor to algae growth during the closed season.

The solid covers keep the water relatively free of debri. Only the area right under the mesh drain panel will have some silt on the pool bottom. This makes for a quick spring cleanup.

Cons of Solid Covers:

They are heavy and slightly more difficult to store than a mesh safety cover. My pool is an 18 x 36 IG Vinyl with a 4' walkout in the shallow end. The cover weights about 125 lbs. I store my cover folded and placed in the mesh bag that it came in, then folded again and stood up in a 35 gallon trash can in the garage. The lid doesn't fit on the trash can because the cover is too tall, but just keeping it up off the floor keeps most bugs out of the cover. Believe it or not bugs will actually eat at your cover and can damage the cover while in storage (especially the mesh covers).

If you want your cover to last, and look good in the fall when you install the cover - you will have to spend several hours washing the cover in the spring after you take it off. I use a soft auto body brush and car wash soap in the spring to clean the cover, and a 1500 PSI powerwasher to rinse the cover and knock off the dirt (on both sides of the cover) then carefully dry both sides of the cover before storing.

My opinion is the solid cover is well worth the extra trouble. My water is always very clean and almost perfectly clear in the spring with only a small layer of algae on the bottom of the pool and a dirty spot under the mesh drain panel.

On the other hand, I opened my sister-in-law's pool this year. She has a mesh safety cover, and it looked worse than most ponds. It was quite gross and took her a lot more time, backwashing, and bleach to get her water clear versus my pool, and her pool is 1/2 the size of mine.

I got my cover from safetycovers.com (specialty pool products) and it's an HPI cover that cost me about $750.

Good luck with your purchasing decision.

Watermom
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Since no further replies are being added to this thread at this point, I think now I'll go ahead and move it to the fall preparation forum.