PDA

View Full Version : How long should I run my filter

JonnyG
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi -

Just ahd my new pool installed and starting to finish the break-in period (been running 24/7 since the plaster was finished). My pool specs are in my signature, anyone got any thoughts on how long to run my filter each night? The PB told me 12 hours per day but that seems more than most people run it. I have a SWG and am currently running at 20% (still learning if thats enough to maintain the 3-5ppm for a CYA of 50).

Thanks for your input

John

pauster
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi John,

from what I have been reading typically it is recommended to run it long enough to turn over the complete volume in your pool once in 24 hours - so it depends on the gpm you get from your pump.

Patrick

mas985
06-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Most pools require 1 to 2 turnovers per day. What is turnover?

Turnover is the time it takes for the volume of the pool to run through the pump once. However, this does not mean that all of the water has gone through the pump. Some water goes through once, some twice and some not at all. To determine turnover rate:

First, determine the head loss for your plumbing. It is usually between 45-65 feet of head. If you want a better estimate, you can use this set of formulas:

Total Head = Suction Head + Return Head
Suction Head = Pump Suction (in. mg.) * 1.13 (use 10' as a guess if you do not have a vacuum guage)
Return Head = Filter PSI * 2.31

Second, look up the the flow rate from the pump head curve that is usually in the pump manual. The vertical axis is head loss and the horizontal axis is GPM.

Third, turnover (hrs) = Pool Volume (gallons) / (gpm * 60)

If you can, it is usually a good idea to split the filtering time into two parts evenly distributed within a 24 hr period.

My turnover is about 4 hours and I have solar so I run my pump 4-6 hours during the hottest part of the day to take advantage of the sun and skip the night cycle.