PDA

View Full Version : lake water

woman.n.a.shoe
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
We have an above ground pool with a lot of debris from a tropical storm last week.

According to the aquachem 6 way test strips our chemicals are fine. I have been vacuuming 3 times a day for the past 3 days. Each time the little white vacuum bag is half full with debris. Right now the water looks like lake water and I was wondering if anyone knew of a quicker way to get rid of the debris. I have been cleaning the cartridge filter every day but it seems as though the fine debris is still getting through. Is there a chemical that would help gather debris for easier vacuuming.

Thanks,
Alicia

JohnT
06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
If the test strips say your chemicals are fine, you don't have enough chlorine. To clear up a mess, you need more chlorine than normal.

Post numbers though, because fine isn't descriptive enough for good advice. The strips aren't really good enough either, but they might be better than nothing.

woman.n.a.shoe
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
The numbers that the 6 way strip gives are:
total hardness 250
total chlorine 3
free chlorine 1
bromine 2
ph 7.2
total alkalinity 120
stabilizer 50

I had just retested and it did say to add 1 lb of shock (on aquachem.com), along with .25 lbs ph add and 1 oz clarifier. I have been adding the same things every day, I just can't seem to get it right! When I said before the levels were ok, I thought I finally had it. Oh well hopefully I will soon :)

Which test strips are the best to use?

Alicia

ivyleager
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
To catch fine particles before they get to the filter, try putting a skimmer sock (pool store or WalMart, pkg of 3 for about $5) or regular panty hose over skimmer basket. This will catch quite a bit of gunk, and will need to be rinsed off several times a day while you're battling the 'Lake Effect'.

You'll definitely need to raise your chlorine level to at least 15ppm (depending on your CYA levels) and hold it there until water clears. Filter 24/7, clean cartidges as needed.

Post chemical numbers, and if necessary, get water tested at pool store. But don't let them talk you into buying anything.

Good luck.

CaryB
Go 'Canes!!

JohnT
06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Your total chlorine being higher than your free chlorine is a problem. It indicates a need to shock. In bad water situations, you need to test and adjust more than once a day. At least three times a day, more if you can.

To accurately test, you need a liquid reagent kit, not strips.