PDA

View Full Version : iron and copper

bonni
06-19-2006, 11:02 AM
How can I get rid of copper and iron in my water?? I have been to the pool store and they had me put in Pool Magent 3 times within the last 3 weeks and I still have metals. And since I can't shock for days after adding the metal magnet I have very cloudy greenish bluish water. Any suggestions?

szampino
06-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Bonny,

I don't have any answer for you but I'm very interested in the replies you get. I have an above ground Entex 18x48". Last year I converted my outside faucets to go directly against the well instead of my treatment systems. After I filled my pool and applied the shock everything went crazy and my water turned a yellow/green. (at least is looked that way) I had to Chemout and Pool Magnet. Then I couldn't get my water crystal clear for the remainder of the season. It maintained a constant cloudy about 2 feet down.

This year I thought I would outsmart the pool god! After filling the pool I
immediately took a water sample to the pool shop for proper diagnosis. I
expected to find Metal galor and was very surprised when I was told there were no metals present. I decided to play it safe and throw in a bottle of pool magnet just in-case, and kept the filter running continously along with multiple filter changes. Everything looked great, crystal clear bluish water, until it came time to apply the shock (1 week after pool magnetting). After about 1 1/2 days the water appeared to turn an amberish green. I took another sample (water was crystal clear in the sample bottle) to the pool shop and was told that metals not appear (iron & copper). I am now searching this forum for a miracle and would could use all the help I can find. I don't want to take the chem-out and re-pool magnet again.

I hope your story is better then mine.

bonni
06-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Sad to say, my situation is not any better. After the pool magnet failed to work the third time I decided to go the BBB route and at least get my pool
balanced and then try to deal with the metals, after 4 days of keeping the
chlorine at 15-20, and the Ph at 7.6-7.8 I now have yellow- brown cloudy water and visibility of about 2 feet. I am loosing patience as I have a huge
picnic/campout planned in 2 weeks and do not see sparkling water anytime soon.

mbar
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
The reason you are testing no metals in the water is because the sequesterant -pool magnet, is holding the metals in suspension. THere is no way I am told to get the metals out of the water once they are in there, except by a very complicated way that Pool Doc had talked about. I will explain how staining occurs. When there are metals in the water, and you have your ph above 7.5 and get your chlorine levels up high as when you shock the pool, it can casue the metal to precipitate out of the water. This can cause the pool surface to stain. It also causes the pool water to appear light green, or brown. What I do when I open the pool is to add sequesterant first before any chemicals. Leave the ph about 7 to 7.2, and slowly raise the chlorine. If you have a sand or DE filter you can put a trichlor puck in the skimmer basket (this will help by the water going over the puck, if the metals precipitate out they will stain the filter instead of the surface of the pool) keeping the filter running 24/7. Do not do this if you have a cartridge filter. I also had success when my pool was cloudy after a stain treatment, putting in a flocking agent. I let the water sit for 24 hours without the filter running, then vacuumed to waste. I shut the filter off everynight and vacuumed to waste in the morning. I did this till there wasn't any stuff on the bottom, and the water was clear. Whenever I added fill water, I added it through the skimmer with a puck in it. When ever I have to shock, I make sure my ph is down around 7.2. I try to keep my chlorine level constant by testing each evening and adding enough chlorine to keep it in the perameters of the "best guess chart", this way I very rarely have to shock the water. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

szampino
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Marie,

I've been reading all the threads you, Dave S and others have posted on Metals. Some I understand and some I don't. Everyone on this forum is a Clorox Bleach vs Chlorine supporter.

Q1. If I switch, will this help? **I prefer not, but will if I need too.

Just an FYI - I actually sampled my water without any chemicals present and was told it didn't have any metals but chose to Pool Magnet anyway because of the trouble I had last year, thinking I'd beat it this year.

Q2. What do you suggest I do?
- Chem out
- Re-Pool Magnet
- Then never shock again and keep my Chlorine and PH levels Low?

Q3. Why do I have to shock if there doesn't apear to be any living problems?

Thanks for being supportive!

mbar
06-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - I have been battling floods - in the basement, and in my pool!. Anyway, your water won't show metals if there is enough sequestering agent in the water because the sequestering agent bonds onto the metals and keeps them from showing up - it also keeps them from staining the pool and water. It does not matter what kind of chlorine you use, as long as you follow the "best gusess chart", which can be found as a sticky at the top of the chorine forum. So it doesn't matter if you don't use bleach.

You don't have to shock if you A) have no combined chlorine, and B) if your pool is holding it's chorine overnight, and the water is not cloudy.

I would suggest you add more sequestering agent (pool magnet), any chemical that says it will get rid of metals. It doesn't hurt to have more sequestering agent in the water than you need, but not enough and you will get stains. Then I would keep my ph low whenever you want to shock your water, or run your chlorine on the high side. If you have a sand or DE filter you can keep a trichlor puck in the skimmer - it helps to let any metals that will precipitate out stain the filter instead of the pool. DO NOT put a puck in the skimmer if you have a cartridge filter.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions you may have. It took me a long time to understand stains - and I a still learning!

szampino
06-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the flooding! I hope you win!

Just wanted to give an update.

Bonni - if you haven't had any luck try what I just did.

Mbar- Thanks for all you posts it really helped a lot.

This is what I did so far. I went to my HealthFood store and bought 2 (8oz) bottles of Vitamin C (Crystals) (expensive but I was desperate). The Vitamin C will bring down the Chlorine levels fast, and Pool Magnet works at 1pm Chlorine levels. Then I followed some of the instructions that Mbar has posted. Turn the filter off, put the C in and I let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Then I turned the filter back on, added 1 qt of Pool Magnet Plus and let it run overnight. I woke up this morning and it looks like the water is almost back to its Crystal Blue state. Don't know how much impact the rain had but whether it was a little help from God or the Metal Forum Gods it appears I'm on the right track.

The next plan is as follows (would welcome some input).

I expect my pool to get cloudy (due to the pool magnet) I'm going to get a flocking agent and try it. Then I'll vaccum the pool.

I am going to slowly raise my PH to (ok) levels. Then I'm going to slowly (did I say slowly) raise my chlorine levels to the lowest possible (Ok) level. I will be continually adding the maintenance dose of Pool Magnet per week.

Q. I was told by my pool store that they make a non-chlorine shock. Do you think it will react with the metal? Do you have any experience with this?

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

mbar
06-28-2006, 09:23 AM
If your water didn't get cloudy yet, it probably won't. Keep your filter running 24/7 for a while. Don't use a flocking agent unless the water does not clear with filtering - sometimes the less you do to the pool the better. I only suggest flock when the water doesn't seem to clear once you hold chlorine at the proper level for about 2 days, and there is no combined chlorine.

Here is a link to get ascorbic acid (vitamin C) which I am sure is cheaper then buying the crystals at a health food store, you might want to keep some on hand - sometimes when you are prepared you don't need it (ha ha), that's what happened to me this year!

http://www.msm-msm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=%%cart_id%%&product=Vitamins&user4=Ascorbic%20Acid

szampino
06-28-2006, 11:40 AM
thanks a gazzilion!

***I'm sure I'll be back, but right now, I feel pretty successful that I understand the problem, and can adjust accordingly.

Thanks again.

bonni
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks,for all the info, I will start the process today. I really appreciate all your help!

bonni
07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
My pool has been back to blue for almost a week now, but it is extremely cloudy. I've been vacuuming and backwashing everyday. I have also tried Sea Klear clarifier. Since I can't shock because of the metals, any suggestions?

mbar
07-06-2006, 08:40 AM
What are you numbers? cl, ph, alk, cal, cya? Did you use any ascorbic acid, or just the pool magnet?. You can also put a stocking leg over the skimmer basket to catch the smaller particles. After you put in the clarifier, did you turn the filter off overnight? If you see anything on the bottom you can vacuum to waste to get it out of the pool. If you have only used the metal magic, I think it would be ok to shock now after a week. Take it up to shock levels slowly by raising it 1 to 2ppms per hour. Let me know how you do.

archdiane
07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
It appears that the iron that was in my well water is almost gone. I might need another bottle of metal magnet to completely finish it. Once my water is back clear, what do I do then? I am afraid to shock it because that turned my pool dark brown and it's taken days to get it back clear. Should I stick a chlorine tablet into my skimmer? I have an 16' x 48" intex AG pool with the little filter that came with it. It has a paper filter in it. At what point can someone swim in it?

Thanks,

AJ

bonni
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
I just did a quick test this AM and cl was 2.5 and ph at 7.2-7.4. I will get
the rest of the #'s when I get home this afternoon. The clarifier did not say
to turn off the pump like a floc so I kept the pump running. I am afraid
to shock because everytime I have done so the water has turned brown.

bonni
07-07-2006, 08:08 AM
well here are my numbers:

TC 2
FC 2
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 300
CYA 70

my guess is that maybe my CYA is too high and the cholrine is less effective?

mbar
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
AJ, you can take your chlorine up to your level according to the "best guess chart". If you have the sequesterer in, it should have binded with the metal, and you will not get brown water again. DO NOT put a chlorine tab in the skimmer with a cartridge filter. You can add regular laundry bleach - add a cup at a time, if the water starts to turn brown stop and put in more sequestering agent. Keep your ph low - under 7.4 but above 7. You can swim in the pool as soon as you put in the bleach. Check often and keep the bleach at the level for your cya.

Bonni, with a cya of 70, you will have to keep your chlorine at a minimum of 5 to be effective. You can take it if to 10 to help get rid of the cloudiness, and if you want to shock, take it up to 20 - you can do this by using regular bleach. I find that bleach works best when coming off a stain treatment. You can add your bleach in small increments to get to shock level, if you don't want to shock, it will just take longer to clear the water, but it should clear if you stay consistant with the bleach and you have no combined chlorine.

archdiane
07-07-2006, 09:25 AM
MBAR, sorry I already put the Tab in this morning, before I read your note.:-(, what now?, I have the chart but don't understand it. Should I put the laudry bleach in still?

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

mbar
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
THis is how I understand it, chlorine comes in 2 parts, stabalized chlorine and "fighting chlorine" If there i isn't enough of the "fighting" chlorine in the water to fight anything that is introduced to the water, you can get an algae bloom. The cya binds onto chlorine and stabalizes it - which is good, because there will be a level of chlorine always maintained in the water. This will keep it sanitized, but if something new comes in there is no "fighting" chlorine to battle it. That's how so many people get into trouble with their water - they have enough chlorine in the water according to the kit, but the chlorine is binded with the cya, therefore not leaving any "fighting" chlorine in the water. Ben came up with this chart to keep you with enough of the fighting chlorine in your water depending on how much cya is in the water. Hope this makes it more clear for you, so you can understand the importance of keeping up with the chart. If you keep your levels consistant, you shouldn't have to shock. Just bring your chlorine up slowly and if you start to see the water change color add more sequesterant and take your ph down to 7.2.

bonni
07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
All of the sequesterants that I have seen want you to have your chlorine below 2 before you can use them, is this really necessary? I have a hard time getting my chorline up to 5-10 where it should be, once I hit 3-4 it starts to stain again and then I have to drop it to put in the sequesterant. I feel like I'm in a cylcle that can't be broken.

mbar
07-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I always add the sequestering agent no matter what the chlorine is. I think the reason it is stated to have the chlorine low is to give the sequestering agent a chance to work before the metals fall out of suspension when you raise the chlorine. You need it to get the green out - with a low ph it should work. I wouldn't lower the chlorine.

szampino
07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Bonni,

Why do you have to get the chlorine up to 5 - 10?

Mbar- Is there a problem keeping it between 1-2?

So far, my water has been almost perfect. I am not planning on raising my Chlorine above 1-2 unless I see a problem.

All comments welcome.

**last year I had a problem with the cloudy water (same entex 18x48) Nothing fixed it. But my remedy this year if it happens again is to treat it like staining, add Ascorbic acid, which will bring down the chlorine and then slowly raise the chlorine again until it gets between 1-2.

gerri
07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Do the metals always fall out of suspension when you raise the chlorine? It seems like this will be a never ending cycle :confused:

mbar
07-09-2006, 05:18 PM
szampino, the reason I told bonni to raise the clorine is that she has a cya of 70. With a cya of 70 you need to have the chlorine between 5 & 10. The water may be cloudy from algae starting and never getting completely killed. It is more important to have a sanitized pool, you can swim with metal in the water, but I wouldn't swim with unsanitized water. If you have a cya level of 20 or less, then it is fine to keep your chlorine at 1 to 2 ppms. You just have to test often and not let it go down to 0, because then you are leaving yourself open to an unsanitized pool.

Gerri, as long as you have enough sequestering agent in the water, you will be able to shock without stains forming. If you keep your chlorine at the right level, and never get a combined chloirne reading, it isn't necessary to shock. You will get the hang of how your water reacts - when you shock, always bring your ph down to 7, or 7.2 before you add the chlorine.

gerri
07-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Do you use muriatic acid to bring down the ph?

mbar
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
yes, you can go on the bleach cal, click on more calcs and it will show you how much you need to bring it down in increments of .2

szampino
07-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Just got back from an out of town business trip and my pool must have been angry that I left it alone.

After numerous Rain days with no attention my pool has decided to go cloudy.

I checked my stats and it looks like my PH is about 7.2-7.4, FC - (not on the charts) TA-80 and CYA-Under 30 but over 0.

I've Triaged and have decided to take the following course of action:

1. I've added a good dose (about 1 cup of Pool Magnet)
2. I'm raising my FC - to 10 (Very slowly, over a few hours) (Raising it with incremental small amounts of pool shock
3. I'm going to let the Chlorine stay at 10 for at least 1-2 hours.
4. I'm going to add Ascorbic Acid - to bring down the Chlorine and hopefully eliminate any chance of Metal(s) impact.
5. I'm going to Vaccuum (hopefully anything dead will get sucked up)
6. I'm going to bring my chlorine up slowly again to 1-2.
7. The constant Fountain during filtering should adjust my PH and Alkalinity'
8. The my chlorine tabs are stabilized so I'm hoping it will adjust my CYA
9. My pool should(will) be Crystal Clear.

I'd welcome any Doctor's opinions and suggestions. This is my first time trying to triage my own pool based on the information I've learned by this site and thread.

What do you think?

gerri
07-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know if I'd add Ascorbic Acid if you aren't having a problem with staining. It could possibly keep your water cloudy. If it were me (and I am an admitted newbie but I've read a lot) I would skip the AA unless you have a staining problem and just let your chlorine come back down after the shock and the water should be clear.

Do you have combined chlorine in the pool? I agree that you are right about adding the pool magnet. I always just try to add the least amount of "extras" that I need to be effective, that's why I say to skip the AA, it will bring your Ph down as well if you add it.

szampino
07-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Gerri -

I missed your post by about 5 minutes(unfortunatly) before charting down my triage path. I only added about a 1/2 pound of the AA let it sit for about 25 -30 minutes and started to run the filter.

My PH budged a little (7.2-7.0) and chlorine was squashed.

The water is still a little cloudy but I'm trying to be optimistic that it will begin to clear as the filter runs, my plan is to leave it on overnight. The cloudyness really concerns me because last year, prior to finding this site, I couldn't get rid of the cloudyness for anything. I think if you read through this thread it looks like Bonni had the same problem(cloudy) as I did last year. I tried everything, Clarifiers, Turning the vaccum over in the center of the pool over night. Nothing cleared it and it was very frustrating. The only thing I can think of that may be clouding the water is the damn metal. I'll keep posting and let you know how it works out. I'm still open to any other suggestions so keep'm coming. (My challenge is patience between posts.)

Mbar - mentioned a flocking agent in some posts and that is something that I haven't tried yet.

Just for the record - ive got a 18x48, entex, cartridge Filter, and self-rigged Skimmer/Vaccum attachment.**Couldn't survive with the GardenHose vaccum)

gerri
07-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Good luck getting your water cleared. I think bringing your chlorine back in slowly may help. Keep us posted as to how it goes. I have cloudy water right now from Ascorbic Acid, but I'm in the middle of my stain removal so I'm not letting it bother me. :)

szampino
07-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - I will keep the post updated with my progress

mbar
07-16-2006, 12:27 PM
szampino, you don't need ascorbic acid unless you have staining. You just need to make sure you have the sequestering agent in the water - that is what holds the metals in suspension. You need to keep your chlorine no lower than 3ppms at all times with a cya of 30, if under a chlorine of 2ppms is the lowest. Since you had cloudy water, you want to keep your chlorine at shock levels till the cloudiness goes away! The ascorbic acid is what made the pool cloudy - you will now use up a lot of chlorine breaking down the ascorbic acid - so keep checking and don't let it fall under 3ppms for now, and you can even keep it up to 10 if you didn't have any staining before putting in the ascorbic acid. The only reason you have to take the chlorine up slowly after doing a stain treatment is in case there is any metals that have not been sequestered after the ascorbic acid lifted them, they will fall back out. Since you had no stain to lift, then the metals were already sequestered and you can raise your chlorine. Just keep your ph low when raising the chlorine - no higher than 7.3. Hope this explains a little more to you - feel free to ask any more questions you may have. If you are afraid metals have been introduced into the water,then it is a sequestering agent you want to add, not the ascorbic acid. The ascorbic acid is only to lift stains that have precipitated out of the water.

szampino
07-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Mbar -

First of all Thanks.

The cloudyness in the water appeared before I AA'd.

I added PoolMagnet, then slowly brought the Chlorine up to 10(+) in hopes of removing the cloudyness. I left the chlorine level at 10+ for about 1-2 hours. I then added AA (thinking that the cloudyness was due to Metals) I knew the AA would bring down the Chlorine level pretty quickly. I then began to raise the Chlorine level to 1-2 where I plan on keeping it. I also wanted to make sure the Chlorine would hold, so I brought it up twice throughout the day and it maintained all night so I was pretty sure the AA wasn't attacking the Chlorine.

Throughout the whole process the cloudyness didn't budge.

This morning I took a sample down the PoolStore to get a reading and any suggestions they may have.

The readings were as follows:
TC 1.3
FC .9 (A little lower then my test strips showed)
pH 7
TA - 107
Hardness-120
Copper & Iron- 0 (it looks like the PoolMagnet is working)

**I saw some info on Calcium hardness and tried to raise it to the 200 level but obviously haven't gotten it that high yet. Then I read the 100 cloudy water causes and saw under the myths that WaterHardness does not make cloudy water.

The pool Store recommeded raising the Chlorine to 3 and keeping it there. I've got it just about 3 now and am holding steady, not change in cloudyness.

Last year I had the same problem, Cloudy, (I define cloudy as I can see the bottom of the pool but it isn't very sharp. I can't actually see the small designs on the vinyl.) I couldn't get it clear for the life of me.

This year I thought I almost had it licked through the info from this site and especially your posts.

Q1. Can the metals be causing the Cloudyness? if so, should I add more PoolMagnet? What about AA-(tried this but I didn't add a lot only about 1/2 lb)
Q2. What about clarifiers? I'm afraid to add more stuff before I know what I'm dealing with.
Q3. Doesn't too much Clarifyer or Too much pool magnet also cause cloudyness?

I think I'm almost about to POP my POP!

mbar
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I would not add anything else yet. I would however bring the chlorine up to 10 - 12. You are fighting something because you have combined chlorine. I think if you take the chlorine up to 10 or 12 and leave the filter on 24/7, the water will clear. I don't have any experience with cartridge filters, as I have a sand one, so I don't know how long it will take to filter out what the chlorine has broken down. Take up your chlorine, and your POP, and I think it will do the trick.

szampino
07-17-2006, 08:07 AM
OK -

I had it up (10+) all night. (Filter 24/7)

No change at all, no better no worse. One thing I find interesting is that I have a fountain on the pool return. The splashing of the fountain appears to create some bubbles on top of the water that linger for longer then I would expectected

I've just changed the cartridge filter to rule out a dirty cartridge.

TA-80 (a little low)
PH - 7.0 - 7.2

mdecrow
07-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I too had iron in my water, have been fighting this battle for 11 days. Started by filling the pool with brook water (14,600), adding 4 gallons of super shock 12.5%. Water turned green within an hour. Tested positive for Iron. Added two quarts of mineral magnet - kept pool filter running for days. No better. Balanced pool for alk & ph and added one more quart mineral magnet. Nothing. Got a second opinion at another pool place. Rebalanced water & added 4 more gallons of super shock to adjust free chlorine. Added two quarts of ez-loc drop out. I quart is suppose to treat 40,000 galloons of water so we did a heavy dose. Shut the pool pump off. Waited two days, no improvement since the day we first added the water and got it green with orginal shock. Add two more quarts of DROP OUT yesterday and this morning still no better. Call the pool guy, he said bring him a sample again and we will have to add a clarifier! HELP!

szampino
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm no pro but think I have a pretty good handle on the blue/brown metally water. The brookwater concerns me because I don't know how to deal with Bacteria.

The first think you need to do is drop your ph to 7.2. The next thing you might try is Ascorbic Acid (Vitaman C). My water wasn't Brown it was more of a Greenish color. I used a bout 1 lb of Acorbic Acid for my 8000(+-) gal. pool. This amount may need to be adjusted based on the size of your pool.

Shut your filter down, drop the Ascorbic Acid down the sides of the pool and let it sit there for at least a 1/2 - 1 hr. Then Turn on the filter and let it run overnight. The AA will eat the chlorine up very quickly and bring it to a 0 level. This should clear up the water if it is in-fact metal. (worked for me)

After your water gets clear the next step is to prepare the water for Chlorine. I learned from this forum that Metal in water never disappears, it's sort of like living with a disease. You have to add a sequesterin agent (pool magnet, metal magic, etc) to keep the metal in what is called "in solution" this means the agent keeps the metal from reacting to chemicals (Chlorine). If the agent isn't added, the chlorine and higher PH will cause the Metal in the water to become visable and actually stain the pool liner and stuff. this is called "falling out of solution". To effectively use this site, I suggest you read through all the different posts that have simmilar problems. you will learn a lot.

Keep posting and people will help. I learned a new acronym last week POP (pool owners patience). I'm now dealing with cloudy water and it is definately testing my POP! Good luck

huskerfan
07-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Marie was very helpful for me also, in learning to control my iron. She gives great advice!

The only thing I might add/question, is about your comment of using a maintenance dosage of pool magnet weekly. Once your iron is under control, the only time you need to use the pool magnet again, or any other type of metal out is when you have to fill/add water to your pool that contains iron - due to evaporation, splash out, refill after draining down for winter...

You'll get the hang of it, have patience! Our local pool store tried to tell me I couldn't use a DE filter, bleach, or many other things because we have iron in the water in all of NE - - trust the forum and the advice you get here! My pool is gorgeous and glistens!

gerri
07-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Marie was very helpful for me also, in learning to control my iron. She gives great advice!

The only thing I might add/question, is about your comment of using a maintenance dosage of pool magnet weekly. Once your iron is under control, the only time you need to use the pool magnet again, or any other type of metal out is when you have to fill/add water to your pool that contains iron - due to evaporation, splash out, refill after draining down for winter...

You'll get the hang of it, have patience! Our local pool store tried to tell me I couldn't use a DE filter, bleach, or many other things because we have iron in the water in all of NE - - trust the forum and the advice you get here! My pool is gorgeous and glistens!

I agree both Marie and Waterbear have been of tremendous help to me, and still are.

I also need clarification as to whether or not you add sequesterant weekly, monthly or just when adding water after you finally get rid of metal stains.

I had the pool guy out to look at my light the other day and he saw my bleach, borax and baking soda supplies. He didn't say a word. I thought it was funny :)

mbar
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
huskerfan is right - you only need it when you add fill water, or sometimes if your metal is coming from some other place, like your plumbing - and is constantly putting more metals in the water, then you will need to add it weekly so that any metals introduced to the water will be sequestered. That is why it would be good if you can find the source of your metal problems.

mdecrow
07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, The pool guy was right. After two treatments of EZ-Loc Dropout (2 Quarts each) We used their clarifier and everything dropped to the bottom by morning. I vacuumed it up to waste and it look good, still need to vacuum the remaining particles but the water is clear! Just a little cloudy from sediment. I have to vacuum to waste one more time then add two bottles of shock and we should be swimming by morning! Yeah!!!

bonni
07-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I would like to thank everyone for all of their help, my pool is almost clear to the deep end and getting better everyday. My advice to anyone with metal problems... be patient and persistant.

mbar
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Congrats! You are right, it is POP and persistance. Once you understaind your own pool, and the reasons for the staining, it will be much easier for you to keep ahead of the water. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

szampino
07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Bonni,

Congratulations! Your results are encouraging, and I could use some encouragment right now battleling my own water problems.

Also - I want to appologize for stepping on your post early on. After reading through the post I realized that I used your post to solve my problem. Sorry about that! Glad to hear you could see the light (to the bottom of the pool)!

bonni
07-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Not a problem, like I said ... have some patience, I was also at a point where I never thought I would be swimming in a clear pool, but with persistance and staying away from the pool store (Except for the pool magnet) it all worked out and it will for you too.