PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tiling a pool - advice sought

windfix
08-24-2019, 12:30 AM
I've coated my pool twice with epoxy paint. Each time, it lasts 3 good years +2 getting progressively more ugly. I am considering tiling it; debating hiring it out, which I would have to finance. I do a lot of DIY and hoping for advice on whether to attempt this project.

Here's my tentative plan:

Drain and powerwash the pool.
Chip off the waterline tile, possibly with power chipper - no experience with one.
Sandblast the epoxy down to the plaster - no sandblast experience; will this get the epoxy off?
Patch the plaster divots with latex-fortified mortar - this I have done.
Apply a cement sealant to the patched plaster - advice on what to use? I have no leaks currently, but seems to be a precautionary step to keep it that way.
Put up new waterline tile with quick-setting, submersible-rated thinset or adhesive. Again, advice on a product? I have DIY tiling experience, but not on vertical surfaces.
Tile the walls with 12x12" mesh-backed tile sets, using same thinset or adhesive used on waterline tile. Pointers to a best-process for this would be appreciated.
Tile the floor. This video makes sense to me on how to lay the floor, and match it to the lowest line of the wall tiles; also like his mortaring tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0kutKZ32g
Grout.

Am I being naive that my pal and I can do this well without paying a pro?