PDA

View Full Version : Just Can't seem to get Balanced with BBB

CoffeeBean
06-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi Again,

Since opening up and finding sludge about two weeks ago it's been an ongoing challenge. I was using pucks but wanted to try the BBB method.

I got the algae taken care of with mega doses of Clorox and the water's sparkling. The walls of my vinyl liner, however, continue to be stained green/brown. I tried scrubbing it down last evening but nothing comes off.

I've added Borax twice in an attempt to get the pH up but it doesn't want to stay.

I have no CYA. I've been thinking about adding pucks to the chlorinator but just read that combining pucks and CL could produce a violent reaction!?! What happens?

Here are this morning's numbers but.....

They probably won't be accurate in a few hours because during the night the hose from the inlet port blew off and I lost about 7" of water out of my AG 32X16, 52", deep ended pool. (The water bill's going to be outta sight this month) and now I'm filling it back up. Again. I hope the pump didn't burn itself out.

FC - 10
CC - 0
TC - 10
pH - 7.1
Alk - 90
CAL - 160
CYA - 0 (Although the dot gets fainter, I can see it all the way to the end of
the test.)
temp - 70 degrees

I'm trying to:

1) get stabilized
2) get rid of the green wall stain
3) get the pH and CAL into the range where I can turn on the heater
4) get some CYA into the pool

and I'm getting frustrated and tired of this struggle. Where's the fun? Any help much welcomed.

CoffeeBean

CarlD
06-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi Again,

Let me try to help--you are SO close.

Since opening up and finding sludge about two weeks ago it's been an ongoing challenge. I was using pucks but wanted to try the BBB method.

Remember: Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine, no matter the source, whether it's pucks, powder or liquid (bleach).

I got the algae taken care of with mega doses of Clorox and the water's sparkling. The walls of my vinyl liner, however, continue to be stained green/brown. I tried scrubbing it down last evening but nothing comes off.

OK, you are dealing with staining--that's a different issue than algae unless it's due to algae, and it may not be. You need to find the cause of the stains--they sound like copper and iron (green and brown), in which case, chlorine makes it worse, not better.

I've added Borax twice in an attempt to get the pH up but it doesn't want to stay.

Try using soda ash so you raise your T/A as well. It's called Arm&Hammer Washing Soda and in my local market it's next to the Borax. Your T/A is OK, but maybe if you are around 120, your pH will hold better. Washing Soda is Sodium Carbonate, AKA, Soda Ash, AKA, pH UP and it's like adding both Borax and baking soda.

Or you could add a pound of baking soda to get T/A up and continue with Borax. Either way.

I have no CYA. I've been thinking about adding pucks to the chlorinator but just read that combining pucks and CL could produce a violent reaction!?! What happens?

In the water there's no problem. You could put the pucks in a floater and keep on adding bleach to the skimmer without a problem. But here's the rub: Pucks will drastically and dramatically lower pH and you already have a problem with low pH. Better to just add straight CYA.

Here are this morning's numbers but.....

They probably won't be accurate in a few hours because during the night the hose from the inlet port blew off and I lost about 7" of water out of my AG 32X16, 52", deep ended pool. (The water bill's going to be outta sight this month) and now I'm filling it back up. Again. I hope the pump didn't burn itself out.

FC - 10
CC - 0
TC - 10
Chlorine is good.
pH - 7.1
Low, but OK. It's low enough so that aerating (a fountain, a gang of kids, etc.) should raise pH over 7.3 without adding anything. See the posts on lowering T/A for this method of raising pH
Alk - 90
In the normal range but low if you are fighting pH bounce.
CAL - 160
Vinyl pool: Cal can be from 0 to 500 with no problems. Don't worry about it. You have a heater and I know they like it to be 200 or more. A little cal-hypo can fix it.
the test.)
Yup. You need CYA.
temp - 70 degrees
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! No WONDER you want the h-h-heater o-o-on!

I'm trying to:

1) get stabilized

and I'm getting frustrated and tired of this struggle. Where's the fun? Any help much welcomed.

CoffeeBean

I hope I've helped. Has your water been checked for copper and iron?

mwsmith2
06-18-2006, 10:56 AM
FC - 10
CC - 0
TC - 10
pH - 7.1
Alk - 90
CAL - 160
the test.)
temp - 70 degrees

I'm trying to:

1) get stabilized

Ok, from the measurements you gave of the pool, I'm gonna guess your pool is 20,000 gallons. All of your problems are easily fixable, except #2. #1 and #4 are the same thing, so you really only have 2 things to deal with.

Stabilizer is easy. Assuming the only way you have any in there is via pucks, you'll have to buy some stabilizer. Looks like you'll need right around 6.5# of stabilizer to bring you up to 40 ppm. Pour it in a nylon and throw it in the skimmer. Wait at least 3 days to test again, but i'd probably wait 5.

Calcium is likewise easy. You are in a range that is not that bad, but say we should get it to 200. 8# should do that.

Your pH is not that bad, as it's registering on your test. Throw a half a box of borax in there (2#) and you should be fine. If you register high, fix with muriatic acid. If it's not high enough, judge how much of the box you need and dump it in.

Michael

CoffeeBean
06-18-2006, 03:26 PM
CarlD,

Thank you for the indepth help. I'll try it and let you know what happens.
I'm on the verge of throwing some pucks into the chlorinator and calling it quits to the "natural" way.

No, I've not tested for copper or iron. Where and how do I do that?

mwsmith2,

I know my pool isn't 20,000gal. No one, including the Doughboy company, can give me an accurate capacity. I've gotten everything from 13K to 19K. Doughboy says it's "somewhere around 15,000". How's that for engineer's accuracy?

Thanks for your suggestions too.

Maybe between us I can get stabilized.

CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean
06-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Well here goes. We'll see if this works.

I suspended 4# of CYA in my skimmer in a cleaner vac bag
(none of my panty hose were ready to be sacrificed).

Added half a gal of bleach (per Michael's bleach calc - what a wonderful thing you've done)

and 18 oz of washing soda to up the pH.

Now here's hoping no more hoses let loose tonight.

CoffeeBean