PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions Using Bleach

NullQwerty
06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
First year with a pool. Since getting everything balanced, I've been using the 3" Chlorine pucks to maintain chlorine levels. I'm reading some negative things about them on this site, like that they can mess with your CYA levels and/or mess up the Free to Total Chlorine levels.

So, since I'm out of pucks, I think I'm gonna switch to bleach.

So, I downloaded BleachCalc and ready to go. Here are my questions:

1. Everyone agree that getting rid of the pucks and switching to bleach is the right way to go?
2. On a 24,000 gallon pool, it seems that to raise my chlorine levels 1 ppm using 6% bleach, I use about a 1/2 gallon of bleach, correct?
3. How long after adding about a gallon of bleach can I hop in the pool?
4. Do I dilute it first (it's a vinyl pool) and dump it in the deep end, or do I add it through the skimmer, or do I dump it in undiluted?
5. Since the pucks slowly dissolve, and the bleach is added all at once, does the chlorine level maintain (assuming all your other levels are balanced). In other words, if I get it balanced on a Sunday, am I still probably good until the following weekend?

Thanks!

waterbear
06-18-2006, 09:42 AM
First year with a pool. Since getting everything balanced, I've been using the 3" Chlorine pucks to maintain chlorine levels. I'm reading some negative things about them on this site, like that they can mess with your CYA levels and/or mess up the Free to Total Chlorine levels.

1. Everyone agree that getting rid of the pucks and switching to bleach is the right way to go?
IMHI, yes.
2. On a 24,000 gallon pool, it seems that to raise my chlorine levels 1 ppm using 6% bleach, I use about a 1/2 gallon of bleach, correct?
Closer to 1 1/2 quarts but in the ballpark. 5.25% bleach will be just under a half gallon for the same (about 1 3/4 quarts). This results are from BleachCalc.
If your FC is under 10 ppm and your CYA is in normal range (30-50 ppm) you can swim. If the CYA is higher you can actually go in when the FC is a bit higher with no problems.
4. Do I dilute it first (it's a vinyl pool) and dump it in the deep end, or do I add it through the skimmer, or do I dump it in undiluted?
If you have an inline feeder for your trichlor do not put bleach in the skimmer even if the feeder is empty. You can walk alround the pool and dribble the bleach in or you can slowly pour it into the stream from the return so the water stream carries it around the pool. Brush after you add it to help it mix.
5. Since the pucks slowly dissolve, and the bleach is added all at once, does the chlorine level maintain (assuming all your other levels are balanced). In other words, if I get it balanced on a Sunday, am I still probably good until the following weekend?
You really should test the chlorine daily to see where it is and add bleach to bring the FC back to where it should be. That way you will learn how much and how often you have to dose your pool. Some people have to put some in almost every day...some people only have to dose a couple time a week. Every pool is different and there are a lot of factors that influence this like bather load, amount of sun, etc. Once you learn what your pool needs it becomes very easy.

Thanks! Hope this helps.

NullQwerty
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the great response. I don't have a feeder for the pucks. I ussually have 2 floaters (one puck in each) and maybe a puck in the skimmer. But I'm sure your answer still holds true.

Thanks again!

ivyleager
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
****Yes, with some exceptions. Some folks use pucks when their CYA is low, like @ startup.

****Yes

****Within minutes. It's only another form of chlorine.....you hop in the pool when you're chlorinating w/ pucks,right?? However, if you're shocking or having to carry high levels of chlorine for a while, may want to use some old suits.

****I add mine slowly through the skimmer, undiluted.

****No, you'll most likely be adding cleach several times a week. I need to add bleach every 2nd-3rd day, and my CYA is 100ppm. Pool is in sunlight 10am-6pm, and daily bather loads. You'll need to test daily to get a feel as to how YOUR pool holds/maintains chlorine.

Thanks!
****You're welcome

Hope this helps!

CaryB
Go 'Canes!!!

ivyleager
06-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Waterbear, you said:

"If you have an inline feeder for your trichlor do not put bleach in the skimmer even if the feeder is empty. You can walk alround the pool and dribble the bleach in or you can slowly pour it into the stream from the return so the water stream carries it around the pool. Brush after you add it to help it mix."

I have an inline feeder, which I do not use and is set to off, and pour my bleach slowly through the skimmer. What is the reasoning/mechanics on this?

Thanks,

CaryB
Go 'Canes!!

waterbear
06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Trichlor does not play well with other forms of chlorine. Even if you clean the feeder there might be traces of it left. The reaction can be violent. Just better to be safe than sorry.

CarlD
06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
:eek:

Generally. You can ALWAYS use bleach. If you need the features of pucks like CYA and lower pH, you can add CYA and acid to get there. If you are going away and can't get help, then pucks can maintain your chlorine levels. Just be sure your CYA is not too high and your pH isn't too low first.

I use bleach almost exclusively as my chlorinator.

1 gallon of 6% raises 10,000 gallons by 6ppm. It will raise 20,000 gallons by 3ppm. Just adjust accordingly. Sounds like you are pretty close--good enough for government work! :rolleyes:

That really depends on why you are adding it. If you have a CC reading, you want to be 0 first. But otherwise, I'd wait at least an hour as my W.A.G.

I just add it to the skimmer or the return stream with the pump running. Or you can walk around and dribble it all around the pool.

No. Never assume it lasts all week with ANY system, not even an SWG. We recommend you ALWAYS test chlorine and pH at least 3-4 times a week, but everyday is best. Once a week do a full, careful test that includes T/A, CYA, and if you have concrete, Calcium. Taking a couple of minutes everyday, or even every OTHER day will save you hours of time, boo-coo $$$$, and lots of agita.

Thanks!

Even if all you do is dip a test strip (:eek: ) every day to see if chlorine is up or down (white is none to low, pink is mid, purple is high) and if your pool is an acid wash or super alkaline is better than nothing. At least you'll catch a big problem before it becomes a big disaster and mess.