PDA

View Full Version : What to do with ugly area in your yard? Here's an idea....

cruzmisl
06-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Build a bubble rock. It's really simple and low maintenance and gives a great waterfall sound. Total investment was less than $500 and an afternoon of work. Worst part was digging the 4'x4'x2' hole but that's what friends are for:) . Any questions let me know and I'll try and provide more detail if anyone is interested.

Here's a pic.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~4re/bubbler.jpg

nater
06-17-2006, 03:12 PM
That would be perfect for a spot in my yard! How big a resevoir did you bury for the water? What did you use for a liner, and a pump, and filter....oh man....another exciting project.....:)

cruzmisl
06-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I used a rubber pond liner as opposed to a plastic tub since frost would likely heave it and cause me problems down the road. The hole size really depends on the size of your rock. Mine measures 4ft x 4 ft x 2ft deep. My pump is a Cal Pump submersible (1400gph). I also had a friend (the same one that dug the hole :) ) weld me a grate to support the rock. I painted it with POR-15 so it wouldn't rust. I was afraid the rust would leach into the water and stain the rock. Some pond stores sell the grate that is already rubber coated but I'm cheap.

Essentially dig a hole, lay down rubber membrane, set grate in place then the rock, attach hose to rock, install pump, arrange small rocks so it looks good and you're done. Ta-da!

Dr. Spike
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
That looks really good! Nice work!

I have been planning on some sort of water feature, this might be a good addition. Should work good in the front yard. No liabilities as with a pond.

Does it require any water maintenance like a pond does or do you just fill it as it evaporates?

Since you are in a frost zone, I am guessing that you have to drain it for the winter?

waterbear
06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
LIke any outdoor fountain or water feature it can grow algae. You can use bleach but this is one application that copper is a good choice!

cruzmisl
06-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment. When adding bleach to the pool I just add a bit to the fountain. No problem with algae so far. As far as drainage goes in the winter you just pull out the pump and leave it as is....so they say. I was going to buy a pre made Home Depot fountain. I'm sure glad I didn't go that route.

graciec
06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
love it!!!!!

MaryLee
06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
love it!!!!!

I love it too...it looks really nice!!