PDA

View Full Version : Using Sprinkler Pump to fill pool?

Pontiadict
04-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I Am wondering if I could use my sprinkler system pump to fill my pool.I live on a fresh water canal which my pump draws from.Could I hook it to my filter and fill my pool this way? Another option would be to draw directly with my pool pump and filter which would be about 30 feet from the canal. Any thoughts? Am I nuts?
Thanks.
John

duraleigh
04-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi, John,

Been there, done that!!

When I first built my pool, a great member who hasn't posted in a long time (Glenc0, I think) was the only one who encouraged me it could be done.

First, I ordered Ben's kit and had it in my possesion before I began. Then I tested my pond water so I would know what was coming into my pool.

Plumbed temporary PVC pipe from my irrigation pump (which draws from the pond) up to my filter and temporary again to the pool (not necessary...could've gone from filter through the returns).

Turned it on and, Voila!, had a full, green pool in 8 hours (43,000 gal) Backflushed about 3-4 times as I remember.

Clorox stock rose 13% during the ensuing battle with the bugs:) ,(not really, I used about $120 if I remember right) and ended up with a sparkling clean pool from pondwater!! Saved about $1500 or so from having water trucked in and plan on doing it again on May 1st when I replace a defective liner.

Extremely doable but understand your water chemistry BEFORE you start:)

Which pump to use?? Pumps love to push but don't like to suck!! Go with the pump that pushes the water....almost surely your irrigation pump.

Dave S.

Brock
04-03-2006, 10:00 PM
We do that every two years with out pool. Fill it from the bay or Green Bay off Lake Michigan. I run it though four 5micron filter to get as much out as I can before it gets in to the pool. Then shock and wait for it all to fall out and vacuum to waste. Works like a charm. The bay water is about 60ppm TDS, while our well water is 1650 TDS.

I would suggest doing it sooner rather then waiting for everything to start growing in the water. It is also fun to tell people that they are swimming in bay or river water ;)

Pontiadict
04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the replies all,I'm definately going this route to fill my pool.

John

Poconos
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
If you have a sand filter you can plumb the irrigation pump into the waste line and set the filter to backwash. The water then goes through the filter in the correct direction for filtering and comes out the skimmer. Did this last year when I had to replace about 10,000 gallons from my stream while chasing a leak. Used an old pool pump in the stream. Worked like a champ.
Al

kaybinster
04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
I have a stream on my property that I use to water the lawn. One year I used the irrigation pump to add about 8,000 gallons of water to the pool. Thought it was a great idea, until about 4 days later when the pool was cloudy. It took me about five times changing the DE and adding lots of chlorine to finally get the cloudiness out of the pool. Never ever ever again will I do that.

Brock
04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, I add lots of CL right away on the fill and keep it at shock levels until full to make sure nothing is living in there ;)

I also put the fill hose right at the bottom intake so it goes right in to the sand filter for some additional filtration right away as well.

duraleigh
04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi, Al,

If you have a sand filter you can plumb the irrigation pump into the waste line and set the filter to backwash. The water then goes through the filter in the correct direction for filtering and comes out the skimmer.

While I am completely convinced you are "da' man" for interesting, innovative fixes on pools.......I am racking my brain trying to figure out the advantage in doing this. I know you had a reason and I can usually figure things out but you've stumped me on this one. Help!!:D :D

Dave S.