PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean Magic Eraser & vinyl liner

frankcav
06-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has any tried using a Mr. Clean Magic eraser sponge for cleaning the waterline scum of a vinyl liner. Or should I use the usual vinyl cleaning solution and a regular sponge/cloth? Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

NWMNMom
06-18-2006, 11:03 AM
I haven't tried it, but what a great idea! Those things are non-abrasive AND they have a "generic" type at the dollar stores now that is the same thing with a box of 4 for $1! I can't see why they wouldn't work.....

waterbear
06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
the indredient the magic eraser is made out of is a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. Wonder what it does to pool water? The MSDS does say to keep it away from oxidizing materials (chlorine?)
http://www.pgbrands.com/pages/cleaners/msds/MSDS_Mr_Clean_Magic_Eraser.pdf

NWMNMom
06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
OMG!!!! Well, I guess we won't be using it on OUR pool!!! Thanx Waterbear!!!

mr.bbq
06-19-2006, 02:05 PM
My wife brought some home and i couldn't find anything on the label
to tell me what was in it. Didn't think about checking the MDS!
Anyway i used it and it worked absolutely great! my liner is 8 years old and it
hasn't looked this clean in years. I also cleaned my top portion of the steps and they are now bright white.

I used 4 pads to do a 16 X 30 pool, going over rough spots will use them up fast ie steps. Took me all of 45 minutes to do the whole pool.
I understand the chemical concerns with chlorine but you are looking at very small amounts of this chemical added to the pool while using the pads.

I saw no ill effects to my pool anyway.

Randy

ScottS
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I have some of these to use when detailing cars and never thought about using them for the pool. They can actually damage some surfaces so use caution.

I do however recall something in regard to NOT using it with bleach if I am not mistaken. I will have to look at the box again when I get home.

*edit* found the information on the website
--The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.--

Are they referring to the bleach being full strength or is the residual enough to cause concern?

aylad
06-20-2006, 12:13 AM
I just use a kitchen sponge and a baking soda/water paste.

Janet

waterbear
06-20-2006, 12:30 AM
I have some of these to use when detailing cars and never thought about using them for the pool. They can actually damage some surfaces so use caution.

I do however recall something in regard to NOT using it with bleach if I am not mistaken. I will have to look at the box again when I get home.

*edit* found the information on the website
--The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.--

Are they referring to the bleach being full strength or is the residual enough to cause concern?

Well, ususally when you clean with bleach it is diluted in a bucket of water, not used full strength.

falken
06-20-2006, 03:15 AM
Well, ususally when you clean with bleach it is diluted in a bucket of water, not used full strength.
But, a normal amount to clean with is 50-100ppm. Is 3ppm bad? :)
I used it in my pool to clean the steps, worked like a charm, couldn't find anything else to remove the stains off the plastic.

Simmons99
06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
My tap water is 3ppm of chlorine and I haven't died from using it to clean my bathrooms. I probably wouldn't use it if you are running shock levels.