PDA

View Full Version : Time Sensitive Opinions Needed-Filter Purchase

sock monkey
06-17-2006, 09:24 AM
https://secure3.milestechnologies.com/mybluepool/products/details.asp?categoryid=17&dealerID=7&productID=165

I have the opportunity to buy the filter listed in the link above. Used 2 seasons only (MA, our seasons are short) The seller is including a 1HP Hayward pump. My price is $300 for both filter and pump.

I need it for our 18X36 inground vinyl pool.

PLEASE, can I get some opinions?
It is my understanding, that this "Micromatic media" seems much like Zeobrite. I am also under the assumption that the filter has the same structure as a sand filter. I am not sure about the Micromedia, but figure I could use the filter with sand if I don't like the other stuff.

ANY CONCERNS AT ALL? Or am I getting a great deal?
I am very new, and have not maintained a pool on my own. I am hoping this system will work for me.

Thanks in advance. :o

CallMeIshmael
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Haven't used that unit... but I'd encourage taking a deep breath and thinking through your decision. Here's why:
It appears that's essentially a sand filter, which I'd presume you'll purchase empty, so whatever fancy material it was made to house will at best be provided used & removed from the filter- Keep in mind that if the filter is in any way specific to that media, you are starting a "Micromedia payment plan"- lol. If it really is just a dressed-up sand filter, why not just compare the machine & it's reliability & track-record (if any) to the standard sand models out there? If it helps, I bought a barely-used 24" sand filter & pump (both Hayward) for a total of $300 as well, so it's not as if this is a one-time deal. Just a thought.

Most importantly, start by researching your pool's specific needs, and then look into the market for parts. Make sense? Maybe you've already done that, but it just wasn't clear from your post. Good luck.

smallpooldad
06-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Generally speaking it is best to go with a well established firm's filter, such as Hayward, Starite, Jandy, etc. The reason is obvious, it is easy to purchase parts from many vendors, the warranties are solid, normally it is easy to get parts locally, and they also have a history of lasting.

Also it is best to be wary of firms that state they have a material that is better than any others, personally I give them a wide birth. Often it is mutton dressed up as lamb.

The size of the filter, regardless of the size of the pump, is important; get the largest you can afford. If you really want pristine water get a DE filter but these are a little harder to take care of than a sand filter.

If you want to improve the filtration of a sand filter add a little DE, only through the overflow box, one measured cup at a time each 15 minutes until the pressure increases by 1 psi.

Also remember this type of material which seems as if it is Zeolite requires that you clean it once a year. This is a bit of a pain. If you have a saltwater pool I believe but am not sure this is not required.

It might be best to steer clear of any unknown filter material such as the one you mentioned.

Finally a business partner once told me and have found it to be true most of the time, "You pay peanuts you get monkeys." I like monkeys, they have a place in this world, but perhaps not in your pool.

sock monkey
06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Thank you both for your opinions!

If it were you, would you opt for this (used) set up over the first one I described? (I guess the good point of the one below is it is brand name..bad point is that it is smaller filter than the other one)

Hayward pool pump, filter and motor. 1hp motor, 3450rpm, 115v.

Jacuzzi Brand Laser Sand Filter. Model 250L. 35" high x 25" diameter, 350lb sand capacity.
(although it says 35", I think it must be the 25" high model http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Filters-and-Pumps/Jacuzzi-Pool-Pumps-and-Filters/Jacuzzi-Laser-High-Rate-Sand-Pool-Filters-in-ground-pools/ )

Jacuzzi 7 position diverter, basic assembly.

smallpooldad
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
As I do not know enough about Jacuzzi filters you may wish to re-post a question asking others if they have any experience with this filter.

When you do this you should advise the readers of how many gallons your pool is, what filter (250 lbs, etc.) you plan on using, and the hp of your planned pump.

Someone out there should be able to give you help.