PDA

View Full Version : DE filters, how we love to hate them

Mr. Ali
06-17-2006, 02:06 AM
This is a long story that I will try to explain with the utmost amount of detail.

Basics:
I have a 10,000gallon in ground pool/spa thingy
Using a Sta Rite system3 DE filtration unit (model S8D110) WITH NO BACKWASH OPTION!

Problem:
DE is returning into the pool and only happens the first minute the pump/filter unit turn is turned. After that it is working like normal and after the 6hour filter cycle, pool is sparkling clean until the next time the filter turns on and pumps DE into the pool. The pool gets cloudy from the DE and then gets clean again after the pump cycle.

Back-story:
I think around this time last year we had a pool guy come out and clean our DE filter and this problem with DE returning into the pool started. we called the pool guy again and he just came back and cleaned the filter again like normal and recharged it with DE again and charging us AGAIN for that (thats another story...). As you probably already guessed it, this didn’t fix the issue. Now, jump ahead to about a month ago when I took it upon myself to fix this DE in the pool issue. I did some research and found out that broken/torn filter elements can cause this. I took apart my DE filter, found that most of the filters had small rips in the seems and most were trashed with the plastic pieces holding up the filter were broken. I replaced 5 of the 13 filter elements with new ones from Leslies pool supply (cost $300). This didn’t fix the issue, so i bought all 13 filter elements AND a new manifold just to be safe online for $380 and I am still having the issue where DE is going into the pool after replacing the while inside filter assembly on 6/10/2006. What is wrong? I am putting in the recommended 5.3 pounds of DE (32cups), mixing it with water and all that jazz and pouring it into the skimmer. Any help on this issue? I am just at a loss as to what is going on and no mater how much money I throw at this problem, it doesn’t get fixed. Thanks for any and all help
Ali

rmeden
06-17-2006, 11:37 PM
a DE filter you can't backwash? Why not just buy a backwash valuve and install it before the filter?

I don't think the backwash valve came with my filter, I think it was just added during the install.

Robert

Mr. Ali
06-18-2006, 12:32 AM
a DE filter you can't backwash? Why not just buy a backwash valuve and install it before the filter?

I don't think the backwash valve came with my filter, I think it was just added during the install.

Robert

It is kind of strange, it doesn't bother me much really because I would want to open the filter up and clean it anyway.

The backwash valve isnt really what this thread is about, its mostly about the DE that is going back into the pool. I just don't understand how DE can be going back into the pool, i have brand new grids and a new maifold. I just dont see how the DE is going past the grids and back into the pool...

cleancloths
06-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Don't know if you can do this with your valve (mine can) but try placing the valve in the recirculate mode when you first start up and then after a few minutes valve it back to the pool -- this should solve your problem if it is only happening in the first few minutes of operation.

mshumack
06-18-2006, 07:58 AM
You may have a torn membrane allowing some DE to pass. I also read that adding too much DE can result in some getting into the pool - but in your case I would suspect a tear.

CarlD
06-18-2006, 08:36 AM
I remember my dad would "backwash" by opening the drain valve on the bottom of the filter, and plugging the return line.

gitchesum
06-18-2006, 08:53 AM
If you are getting DE in the pool, you have eihter a improperly installed set of grids or there is a small hole in one or more of them.

I went through the same thing late last year.

Since I'm a true believer in "If you want it done right, do it yourself", I pulled the filter apart and cleaned each grid. Then I went over each and every one of them spending almost 15-20 minutes on each one. I found one small hole near the manifold attachment on one of the grids, and I mean less than 1/2" stiching was coming apart and was causing a major issue for me.

If you don't want to mess with it, I would at least look into getting a new pool service. Sounds like the last guy wasn't very thorough