PDA

View Full Version : New Liner Tucked Underneath Coping ?

zooba72
05-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Hello - I'm shopping for a new liner and also need to replace the coping. The original liner which last many years was tucked underneath the coping as opposed to a liner track. I would prefer to have it this way again, but every contractor I've spoken with thus far will not do this despite the fact that I have to replace the coping. Doss this make sense ? Is this really no longer done anymore? Thanks

PoolDoc
05-15-2018, 02:19 PM
I've never worked with a tucked liner -- is this on an IG or AG pool?

Regardless, I'd caution you that ANY time you persuade a contractor to do something they haven't done before, you are taking a huge risk. First time efforts are ALWAYS on the wrong end of the learning curve. This is one of the main reasons that EVERY SINGLE truly custom pool ($100,000+) I know of in my area has serious problems!

zooba72
05-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Hello PoolDoc - I agree I don't want anyone doing something they're not acustomed to doing, but all of the IGP that were build around here in the early 90's, 80's and prior had the vinyl liner secured underneath the coping during the initial installation. Those liners generally lasted 20+ years - According to every pool contractor I speak to now, they simply say we do not do that way anymore - we use a liner track and the lifetime of the liner is about 1/2 as long. Since my coping needed to be replaced I thought it logical to do the liner the way it was orginally constructed.

I'm very surprised that they stopped doing this - even for new pools? I was hoping someone could provide an explanation or recommendation. Thank you

PoolDoc
05-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Over the years, I tried several times to 'uncover the secrets' of liner life expectancy, since it varies so much.

Short version? Durability is largely determined by the PVC + additive mixture used in making the raw, un-patterned sheet . . . and that mixture is determined by sheeting manufacturer, who is NOT the "liner manufacturer. Liner manufacturers BUY sheeting, print it with patterns, and the piece it together, but don't make the plastic. I learned that much, with two 'off-the-record' conversations with a product engineer at one of the major N. American makers.

Bottom line? There is not any way i have discovered to determine liner life in advance! "Better liners" (ie, more expensive) tend to last longer but that is by no means assured.

Sorry!