PDA

View Full Version : Free Chlorine 16 PPM

zooba72
05-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Hi Everyone - I opened my pool about a week ago and it was a swamp - I kept the water at shock level for a several days. Using a Taylor K-2006 kit I tested my chlorine today and the Free Chlorine is 16 PPM and Combined Chlorine was zero. I'm pretty certain that I did the test correctly - My question.... Is it safe to jump in the pool to cool off ? I have some trichlor pucks in the chlorinator but have it set to 1. I don't like turning it to zero without removing the pucks as I feel like it ruins the o-ring in the cover.

I was thinking I just need to wait for the free chlorine to come down naturally ? Maybe add fresh water when possible. Any thoughts? Thanks

FormerBromineUser
05-18-2017, 11:23 PM
You didn't mention your CYA level. It's safe to swim when you can see a swimmer in trouble in the bottom and your FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA according to this chart:
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html#a

Have you passed an overnight test yet?

zooba72
05-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Great Chart. I will retest FC in the morning as well as CYA. Thanks

zooba72
05-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Free Chlorine held steady overnight at 16PPM - but I did add some fresh water yesterday, not much and my automatic chlorinator is set to 1. Not sure how that skewed my results. Either way though, no significant drop at all, if anything it might have been a tad higher.

CYA Test showed 75 PPM

So according to the chart you provided I'm between the light green and orange - I'm guessing probably not good for long term exposure?

FormerBromineUser
05-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Is your water super-clear? If so, you can let your FC drop on its own. I would seriously consider removing the pucks from the chlorinator, or at least not adding more. The pucks will just add more CYA to your pool and you are already pretty high.

zooba72
05-19-2017, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about that, but I'm not sure what to do with them ? They're all soaking wet ... Maybe I'll just toss them in a sealed bucket until the FC comes down.

zooba72
05-19-2017, 04:22 PM
I pulled them out - the water is clear. Thank you for your help !

FormerBromineUser
05-19-2017, 07:35 PM
You're welcome! I would let the pucks dry out and then store them until you go on vacation and need to add some FC while you are gone. If you store them wet, they will break down to goo.