PDA

View Full Version : ShotCrete vs. Gunite

Deal Svengali
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I am getting a bid from a pool builder that only uses Shotcrete, instead of the dry mix gunite. He uses it to provide a guaranteed PSI on the pool wall. The disadvange of it seems to be cost. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas between the two?

duraleigh
04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
You may get chastised by putting a commercial link on your signature. The Moderator is ADAMANT about not cluttering up the forum. If you can still edit and delete it, I would do so.:) :)

That out of the way, I have never known of a difference between the two concretes. I always assumed they were synonymous since they are used interchangeably in almost all discussions.

I would also think psi ratings are not very applicable to pools. Highways, bridges, and footings, yes....but not pools. (within reason)

Dave S.

Lenny
04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
There's definitely a difference. I'd recommend a Google search. There's plenty of info out there. I believe the difference has as much or more to do with the delivery mechanism (when and how water is added) than the base materials, but I'm not sure.

Problem is, this is one of those hotly contested subjects where you'll get a very different story about what's better depending on who you're listening to.

The guy who dug my pool last year said that Gunite is better at resisting frost/Ice damage while Shotcrete is better as resisting damage from a physical blow. Not sure whether that's true or whether it even makes sense. :confused:

Deal Svengali
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I have googled for Shotcrete vs. Gunite. I have found information pro on Shotcrete from places that use Shotcrete.

They talk about the quality of the gunite, as far as PSI on the pool walls is done by the person applying the gunite and how they are mixing and applying. While with Shotcrete the PSI is guaranteed by the mix at the concrete facility which is done by computer.

I am just trying to see if the extra money is really needed for ShotCrete.

dep78737
04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
We have only had our pool (gunite) for 2 years, so I'm no expert. I've never seen and heard of a gunite pool shell failing from friends, neighbors or a couple of very informative web forums. ShotCrete may be technically better but doubt it would ever be an issue on a properly constructed pool. Plenty of talk about decks cracking or heaving, plaster failing, plumbing leaks, drought and famine :-).

PoolDesignnet
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Gunite and Shotcrete and both concrete. The difference is the methods of mixing. Shotcrete is mixed at the plant gunite is mixed on site. The end result is the same, the PSI required for your pool.

Zina
Pooldesign.net