PDA

View Full Version : skimmers & oxidizer's????

ChampC
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I just went to the pool store and was sold 2 bags of oxidizer, and was told to put them in the skimmer. On the other hand, my pool guy and everyone I've ever known says don't put anything into a skimmer. Would broadcasting the oxidizer with gloves work?

CarlD
06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
What are you using oxidizer for? What do you expect it to do and what do you expect it to replace?

ChampC
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I've been using Baqucil, and for me it works, small pool etc... But, this year the pool has an organic problem and the sides of the pool have a rust colored film. This straight oxidixer is suppose to break this cycle, and allow the Baquacil to work again. I was sold 2 bags for $10. and was told to put it in the skimmer and come back in 2 days with new pool sample. The water itself is fine, only problem is with sides and bottom.

CarlD
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok. I can't help you--all I know about bac is how to convert from it to chlorine. Sorry.

ChampC
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
But, perhaps you can. Would it harm the system to put a chemical in the skimmer? Or would it make a difference it if the chemical is broadcast directly into the pool. I don't need a Bauqacil expert, rather a person who knows how pools work, and what harm could be done if you put a chemical in the skimmer? What would happen to the mechanic's if someone put a chlorine tab into a skimmer?

Poconos
06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I have a sand filter and put everything in the skimmer. As long as the pump is running no harmful concentrations should occur. Just be sure you keep circulation going until whatever you put in is dissolved. Personally I don't like dumping stuff right in the pool, especially solids, as there is a risk of the stuff laying on the bottom. Never used the baquacil stuff but me suspects you'll eventually regret it. Hope this answers your question.
Al

waterbear
06-15-2006, 10:40 PM
AS far as I know the only oxidizer that is supposed to be used with biguinide (generiic name for Baquacil, SoftSwim, Revacil) is 35% hydrogen peroxide (a very dangerous chemical in this concentration). It is a liquid. I do not believe that MPS (potassium monopersulfate), which is probably what he sold you, is compatable with biguinide but I might be mistaken. Does it say that it is compatable with biguinide on the labeling? If not I would not use it!

ChampC
06-18-2006, 08:19 PM
The Oxidizer is by Arch Chemicals, the makers of Baquacil. And it wasn't a solid or liquid but, the consistancy of laundry powder. I had some definite success, where I broadcast it in, but it wasn't enough for the degree of my problem. But, at $5. a bag it's not bad if it works. Baquacil Ultra supposudly has a simular thing at $50.00. Will let you know what happens.

waterbear
06-18-2006, 08:47 PM
$5 a bag?!?!?!?!?!? No wonder the pool stores love baquacrap! They make a fortune off of it!