PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

skizz0tt
07-31-2016, 05:55 PM
A few days ago I did a partial drain on my pool to lower my CYA levels. The CYA level was about 100 PPM. After the partial drain and refill, I added quite a bit of bleach and tested the water the following day and got the following results:

CYA = 35
FC = 3.6-3.8
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
TA = 70
CH = 90-100

I added calcium chloride to bring the CH up and I added sodium bicarbonate to bring the TA up. I also added 121 oz of 8.25 % bleach. I ran the filter most of yesterday and through the night. The sodium bicarbonate made my pool extremely cloudy.

Today my chemicals are as follows:

FC = 5.0 PPM
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
TA = 90
CH = 190-200

I think these are good numbers, but my water is still extremely cloudy. I am assuming that this is from the sodium bicarbonate and the cloudiness will dissipate over time, but I just want to check here to make sure.

My pool is roughly between 20000 - 21250 gallons.

Should I adjust anything or just give it time?

FormerBromineUser
07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Those numbers do look good. Your original TA might have been fine where it was. Did you adjust it because you were having problems with pH?

I bet it is not the bicarb, but the calcium add which is causing the cloudiness. What type of pool surface do you have?

skizz0tt
08-01-2016, 12:57 AM
Honestly, I raised the TA because I thought 70 was low. I wasn't having issues with pH. It's a plaster pool.

FormerBromineUser
08-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Leave TA alone for now. I still think the cloudiness was from your CH add. (Assuming you don't have nascent algae). It is best to add calcium with low pH, like 7.2-ish. With your plaster pool, you want a CH at 250+.

Also, remember you can use a 10ml water sample for FC/CC and multiply your drop count by 0.5, (or divide by 2), to save on reagents.

skizz0tt
08-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Ran pump all night. Tested FC this morning, it's sitting at 4 PPM. Cloudiness still is very present, I can't see a tangible decrease in the cloudiness. When I put the baking soda & calcium in the pool, I think they reacted together. Could that be? I don't know, I'm stumped.

skizz0tt
08-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Leave TA alone for now. I still think the cloudiness was from your CH add. (Assuming you don't have nascent algae). It is best to add calcium with low pH, like 7.2-ish. With your plaster pool, you want a CH at 250+.

Also, remember you can use a 10ml water sample for FC/CC and multiply your drop count by 0.5, (or divide by 2), to save on reagents.

Should I add muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 to remove the cloudiness from the calcium? Thoughts?

FormerBromineUser
08-02-2016, 12:55 AM
It will take time to clear the calcium cloudiness, but lowering pH will speed the process. Sorry that happened, but no worries, it will get better!