PDA

View Full Version : DE

cheshamjim
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
What is DE's role in pool maintenance? I understand that there are DE filter systems and that these are very effective at filtering ultra small micron particles from the water. But I've also read that DE is used as an additive (not a filter medium) to the water. It somehow "cleans" water?

Shucks, I've even read that its great against ant colonies and for pets (flea control and food supplement). But that's too far off topic. What does it do for pools?

-Jim

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-15-2006, 12:07 PM
DE is diatomecous earth (spelling is prob off) which is fossilized sand and earth. These very fine sand particles (silica) coat the filter and the rough edges of the DE catch those very fine particles. So what you would traditionally call a filter is actually a medium to hold the DE which does the filtering and polishing.

DavidD
06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
But I've also read that DE is used as an additive (not a filter medium) to the water. It somehow "cleans" water?

I have never heard this before and can't imagine it being true. It is solely for filtration medium when used in swimming pools. Some people do add small amounts of DE to their sand filters to increase the filtration capability.

Dave

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-15-2006, 01:07 PM
I think we are dealing in semantics here. Unlike a sand filter where the sand = the medium a DE filter has grids which get coated with DE. It is these DE coated 'fingers' that filter, clean and polish the water. The DE is not a chemical that is going to clarify the pool... it is about as inert as you can get.

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Food Supplement? I have used DE (thanks to the member that told me the other day) to kill ants but seeing as how it is a hazard to humans and kills ants I don't know if I would mix in some of my L's DE to wolfy's bowl of food.

JohnT
06-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Food Supplement? I have used DE (thanks to the member that told me the other day) to kill ants but seeing as how it is a hazard to humans and kills ants I don't know if I would mix in some of my L's DE to wolfy's bowl of food.

The hazard is when it is airborne as a dust. It is about as inert as it can get, chemically.

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
It is a breathing hazard... physically. Silicia sand is not the nicest stuff and now you are going to put it in front of your face??? I know it is an inert substance, I said it above in a post and I don't expect you to blow up but I dislike touching the stuff let alone eating it.

cheshamjim
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
O.K., so I guess I shouldn't add this stuff to my pool or my dog.:D

There was a link somewhere in The PoolForum that took me to a site that described DE uses for livestock and pets. Probably in that context DE stood for something else.

Sorry to clutter things up with nonsensical questions.

-Jim

JohnT
06-15-2006, 02:20 PM
There was a link somewhere in The PoolForum that took me to a site that described DE uses for livestock and pets. Probably in that context DE stood for something else.

The DE used for livestock is rougher than that used in pools, and the theory is that it kills parasites by puncturing the skin. It is the same stuff, although if I recall correctly, one is heated to change the structure somewhat.

waterbear
06-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I think we are dealing in semantics here. Unlike a sand filter where the sand = the medium a DE filter has grids which get coated with DE. It is these DE coated 'fingers' that filter, clean and polish the water. The DE is not a chemical that is going to clarify the pool... it is about as inert as you can get.
actually a 'filter medium' is the substance that does the filtering and the filter is the unit that holds the filter medium...so in a sand filter the medium is filter sand, In a DE filter the medium is DE (the grids just hold the DE in place while the filter is running), and in a cartridge filter the medium is either Reemay polyester (bet you weren't expecting that!) or (in cheap ones like the Intex doughnut's filter) paper. All these are considered mechanical filters. They physcially trap the dirt and remove it from the water column in exactly the same way. The only difference is in how small a particle they can trap and hold. Zeolite, used as a sand replacement in sand filters, is a mechanical AND chemical filter because of it's ability to bind ammonia to it in addtion to trapping particles.