PDA

View Full Version : Question! oops...Got a little DEarth...

graciec
06-15-2006, 07:48 AM
It was windy yesterday and i was putting a little DE into my skimmer to help sand- filter filter better and some blew [i think] onto the water,or it is coming back out of the returns, maybe a little of both.Does that make the water kind of swirly white, like a slick on top of the water?
Is it OK to swim and how will it go away?

mshumack
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
The skimmer will pick it up and put into the filter were it belongs. If there is a lot in the water I would wait before swimming. Run the filter for a couple of hours. That should be enough time for the surface water to get filtered. You don't want to accidentaly drink any DE while swimming (although a small amount won't hurt you).

graciec
06-15-2006, 10:36 AM
thanks;so it gives a look like a bazillion bubbles;like a slick almost? if kids splash around just keep there mouths shut OK? It's a very fine layer maybe aeration with the returns would help?

graciec
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Answer my own question.Yes it's disappearing and aerating helped!!

ChuckD
06-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe DE is an 'all natural' product. The only real harm that can be done is if you inhale it.

C.

medvampire
06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
I wouldn’t get too excited about ingested de unless you get a large amount. If you ingested around ½ cup dry may cause bowel impaction. I asked the doc in the ER and he didn’t think it would be a big problem unless inhaled. Just cure them of any parasites in the gut.
Later
Steve