PDA

View Full Version : Alum - where to buy?

LukeNorris
06-15-2006, 03:11 AM
hello friends!

Luke the semi-professional pool guy here. Well I have become a recent fan of Alum as a floc to clear pools fast. I know there is probably a lot of you who would say just use liquid floc, but I am sick of it, 1/2 the time it works, the other it doesn't.

I have been buying for a major retailer in the area for about $2.90 a lb. Most of my pools take 30 lbs of it, so you see where I am going. I was wondering if there was a "household" product I could buy to take care of this high priced product I am buying. I don't know where to find it. Please advise!

Luke

mbar
06-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a link:
http://www.chemistrystore.com/alum.htm

waterbear
06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Auminum Sulfate is an effective flock but be aware that if there are phosphates in the water it can cause the water to get very cloudy as the phosphates precipitate out. It can take a day or two for it to settle and then you must vacumn to waste. Alum is not a good idea if the pool has a cartridge filter.

tonyl
06-16-2006, 05:50 AM
I get mine at Leslies

CarlD
06-16-2006, 05:57 AM
I used a floc once 7 years ago. Haven't since. I suppose if a pool is a mess and you've gone through ALL the steps to clean of high chlorine, 24/7 filtering etc. and it you might need it.