PDA

View Full Version : New here, where to begin??

ellenicol
06-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Hello,

I'm new here and would like to get some info and help on where to begin with the BBB method etc.
I'll start out by saying we have a 24ft round above ground pool. DE Filter. I don't have exact numbers on the chemistry for you but can get them tomorrow. The pool is clear but still has green stuff on the sides and bottom. Normally we shock once per week w/ the 1lb bag of shock you get at walmart, use the 3" round chlorine tabs (I add one whenever the first one is gone), I also use the basic algecide you get at walmart too. I vaccumm when it needs it and brush when I can. This is our 2nd year with the pool with no prior instructions. If someone could please help me keep the pool maintenanced that would be appreciated.
If this is in the wrong forum spot I apologise. TIA

CarlD
06-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Nope, you are OK.

Go to the top of this forum "Testing and Adjusting..." and read the threads with stickies on them, especially the ones by PoolDoc, WaterMom, Poconos, Aylad, and me--CarlD. There are other good ones there too.

Then go to the top of the "Chlorine..." forum and do the same thing.

Next, go to PoolSolutions.com (PoolDoc's other site) and read all the tips. Some are relevant to you, some may not be. A few need some updating, but it is a pretty amazing education, and Ben (PoolDoc) has a wonderful, easy-to-read chatty style that won't bury you in jargon.

That's your starting point. It should give you a solid grounding in what you need. It's really pretty simple once you get past all the mumbo-jumbo and mystery. There is no mystery.

Enjoy! And Welcome!

ellenicol
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I read everything you said I needed to and then some (brain overload!)
All I have is the walmart 5way test kit. These are my reads as of a few minutes ago.

Chlorine - 5
Ph 6.8
Alk 50ppm
CYA 60 ppm

Ok so where do I go from here. If you could advise that would be great. I'm really at a loss on how to really get started with this whole thing. Thanks

CToon
06-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi ellenicol,

Since you have brainoverload , I'll try and keep it simple :)

Alk range -- yours
80-120 ----50 you need to add baking soda

ph range ---yours
7.2-7.8 ----6.8 borax to raise ph

Cl @ 60 cya -- 5-10ppm youre at the bottom of good , so you need to keep
it there or higher

look for MWsmiths bleach calculator, its a great little program for figuring quantities

Ready for more thinkin yet ?

I would get baking soda in first to raise alk . It will raise the ph also , but only slightly. Using the bleach calculator I figured your 24 round at 4' so , so 6lbs of baking soda isnt bad to start. When you get the Alk right , check the ph. If its still not up to snuff , add borax, but only dump in some at a time , wait & check, so you dont over due it . when you get in range , its good.

As for Cl , the kit only tests up to 5 .you neeed to stay there or higher.. CarlD has a shot glass method around here that makes sense to me if you have to use it for testing

Trust me , once you got it down , it works and its really easier than pool store way

ellenicol
06-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far. Bad news is my husband accidentally put a hole in the liner while scrubbing tonight shortly after my last post. We had a flash flood all over the back yard. So no more pool :(

We are planning on fixing and or replacing but it might not be for a month or so. I will be back then!!!
Thanks again.

Watermom
06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I feel your pain. Just last Friday I had to replace my liner, too. So sorry!

CarlD
06-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice so far. Bad news is my husband accidentally put a hole in the liner while scrubbing tonight shortly after my last post. We had a flash flood all over the back yard. So no more pool :(

We are planning on fixing and or replacing but it might not be for a month or so. I will be back then!!!
Thanks again.

Yowch!! Get a liner repair kit and patch it if the hole isn't too big. It's quick, it's fast, it's permanent--but it's ugly.

However, an empty pool is uglier.

ellenicol
06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
The hole is about 3 feet wide and on the bottom of the pool near the side, so not sure that would be fixable.

We actually would like to get a new one if we can afford it but have no idea where to begin. Do you have any reccommendations on a type of above ground that is nice? The pool we have is SUPER old and we basically were just waiting for it to break! Thanks anyway!!