PDA

View Full Version : Liner Question

AGP18by33
04-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi everyone,
I was always on the old board before it crashed and read every single thing in there. Glad the new board is making a comeback.

Now my question:
My husband and I purchased an above ground oval pool size: 18' x 33' x 52" from a local company, Swimming Pool Discounters.
The pool is on "Swim N Play" website and is the Utopia model.
Anywho, we had everything stored in our basement so we can put it up this year (soon). One of our dogs chewed a hole through the box and liner.
This made us so sick believe me.
The liner is (was) a "Blue Diamond" aka on some sites "Blue Lancashire".

We went to a local pool store and were told that you should buy a liner from the place you bought your pool because some liners will vary in size a little here or a little there.
How true is this? If it's not true, does anyone know of a place where we can get a reasonably priced replacement?

As far as our chemicals go...they gave us the bacquacil for it but we aren't even going to open the box. Thanks to this site we will be using the bleach method. We were even considering the Nature2 Way but I think that will be expensive as well. We have a cartridge filter (Hayward) that came with it also.

One more thing...is it ok to post pictures of our process as we build? I remember a user doing this and I was following them all the way through to their beautiful pool. I think it was Donya (Huskerfan) that did that and would like to thank her for that.

Thanks everyone for all your help on here.
Rhonda

duraleigh
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi, Rhonda,

It makes sense to me to buy the new liner from the OEM. I would agree that little variations from another manufacturer could make installation difficult.

Is it possible to patch it? The OEM may even have a patch kit and, depending on size and location, it may never be seen or cause you any trouble.

Yes, it was Donya....her's was a very detailed, informative thread for AG installation. Of course it is fine to post your progress....everyone loves "pichurs"!!!

I'm sorry but I have no valuable info on a place to purchase your new liner, if you need it.

One last thing...Far too many folks build their pool, fill it up, watch it turn green and then come to the forum with NO knowledge of water chemistry. You'll save yourself tons of money if you get a good test kit PRIOR to filling you pool. It'll be the smartest money you'll spend on your pool.:) :)

Dave S.

AGP18by33
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the response.
We aren't exactly sure where the hole is because it is still folded
in the box. I was hoping to be able to unfold it in the basement
and take a look and hopefully patch it.
I am praying that it is near the top and not by a seam.

Another thing is that because it is a new liner...I am worried that
when the water goes in and stretches it like they do, that the hole
will get bigger. Then with all the water in it we would have to drain
it and then replace the liner.

DH wants to just get a new one and I think that probably what we
will do just to be safe.

Now, what to do with a very big and pretty vinyl cover????

Rhonda

Waterworks
04-03-2006, 06:19 PM
You might try calling around to pool stores or landscapers. My company would probably give you some sort of deal because we could use your ripped liner to sell as patch material. Landscaping companies might want to use in waterfalls and streams. You might not get much for it, but anything is better than nothing.

Brad

AGP18by33
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Thats a great idea, I never thought of it.
Any amount would help with the cost of a new one.

I will let my husband know this and we will start to call
around.

Thanks,
Rhonda