PDA

View Full Version : Pump recommendation

irishkenj
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I'd like some help from the experts too as I'm also looking to go with a two-speed pump.

16x32 foot in-ground w/ vinyl liner. 19,200 gallons before we put steps in the corner last summer.

All 2" pipe.

24" SplashPak Sand filter

2 suctions (only one running at a time) - 1 is 17' (skimmer) run and the other is 27' (vacuum). I believe each has 3 elbows before the 2 near the pump.

1 return is 24' with 4 elbows.

Also attached a picture of my current setup......pump is pretty loud after runnign dry for a day or two a couple summers ago.

Thanks in advance!! Ken

duraleigh
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi, Ken,

Can you find a GPM rating for the filter? It is a pretty good rule of thumb never to exceed that rating with a pump that will push more than that thru it.

It should be pretty easy to find a pump curve at a web site that will help you select. mas985 is good at total dynamic head (I'm not) but I believe he says most pools have a TDH around 40...you'll need to know that to figure how many gpm your pump will push.

Next, your system should be capable of turning over your pool gallonage in an 8-12 hour period. With a two-speed, that may be somewhat hard to do on low but easy on high.

mas985
06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Ken,

Assuming you do not have a spa or water feature and you can dedicate the suction line to the vacuum line when needed, I think you could easily go with a 3/4 HP one or two speed pump.

I ran a quick head calc based on the numbers you provided and a high efficiency 3/4 HP pump will provide about 73 GPM @ 50 ft of head on high speed with a 4.5 hour turnover. Low speed would be about 36 GPM @ 13 feet of head and 9 hour turnover so even if you need 2 turnovers, low speed would suffice. GPM will depend on what pump you actually choose.

handy1
06-21-2006, 09:19 PM
We are also looking into replacing our 1hp pump with a two-speed one. Don't know how old the current pump is. Here are the details: (1) 30,000 gal inground plaster pool; (2) sand filter with 325lb of sand, rated 60gpm; (3) challenger pac-fab pump at 1hp. I can find a pump curve on the web but am not sure what to do with it. Is a 1hp pump sufficient for this setup? I'm figuring the turn on the pool is 8.3 hours which seems too slow - but maybe I'm calculating wrong (?)