PDA

View Full Version : muriatic acid

wolfcue
06-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I am still trying to get my alkalinity down. I have an above ground pool (about 5500 gallons) 18X48. My alkalinity readings are still around 280. I have just been adding 1 cup and sometimes 1 1/2 cups of acid but my ph is only dropping down to 7.2 to 7.5. Can I add 2 cups at a time or that too much? I don't won't to ruin my liner.

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Wolf,
I don't think the muriatic acid is going to bring that TA down. I believe you need to either do a partial drain and re-fill or read up on aerating the pool to lower alk.

CarlD
06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Wolf,
I don't think the muriatic acid is going to bring that TA down. I believe you need to either do a partial drain and re-fill or read up on aerating the pool to lower alk.

This is not correct. Go to the top of this forum and read the stickie'd posts for how to lower T/A.

Lower pH to 7.0 to 7.2 (T/A will come down some), then aerate to raise pH w/o raising T/A. Then lower pH to 7.0 to 7.2 again and aerate again.

T/A will rachet down until you hit your target.

T/A moves up and down with pH. But by aerating you can raise pH WITHOUT raising T/A.

Kimrst
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I have about the same problem as the wolf. I am aerating my pool with the sprayer that I bought with the frame set. I read docs notes and it said it can take awhile "You must be patient; you can not hurry the process;" How long should I be running the fountain? The water here in sw Michigan is very cold yet. (72* near the solar cover) Could this be part of it? OR could the vinal of the intex pool have anything to do with it? Maybe not enough stablizer? I know run my numbers and post them.. ..What I'd really like to do is take a sample to a pool place, but out here in tim-buck-too its a drive to get to a pool place...It will probly be July before it gets warm enough to swim in anway.. :-( Kimrst

wolfcue
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
This is all new water. This is an intex pool that you have to take down in the winter. I have been adding a cup a acid to lower ph and then aerating for about 2 weeks now, but my ph was only going to around 7.5 Then we tried 1 and half cups of acid, but the ph is still not going lower than 7.2. Do you think I can add 2 cups of acid and then aerate?

duraleigh
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Do you think I can add 2 cups of acid and then aerate?

Yes, that should do it.

wolfcue
06-14-2006, 06:21 PM
My water is also cold (72) here in Ohio. Thanks to everyone for the help. I will try 2 cups.

Peggy

gonefishin
06-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I brought my TA down from the low 200's to 130 with the method listed at the top of this forum. What I noticed was that the aeration didn't help until the ph dropped (which I think is how it's supposed to work). Then you raise the PH back up by aeration, which incidentally drops the TA.

stick with it...
dan

Dr. Spike
06-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I had the same TA numbers to start as Dan did, low 200's. I also was able to get down into the 120 range with the aeration method.

Just have to be patient and stick with it.

Dr. Spike
06-14-2006, 11:01 PM
{snip}
The water here in sw Michigan is very cold yet. (72* near the solar cover)

...It will probly be July before it gets warm enough to swim in anway.. :-( Kimrst
{snip}

That sounds warm compared to my pool, mine is still 62. :eek: Hopefully the parts I need to get my heater back up and running will be in soon.

Sorry for the OT post.

sevver
06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
I have been trying to get my TA down for around two weeks, and it started at over 230, and as of now, it is around 180, I lowered the PH again to around 7.2, and I have the jet pointing so it blows just out of the water. This raises the PH naturally, and by lowering the PH and the TA together with the Muratic Acid, I am slowly lowering the TA. This is my first year tending to the chemicals in the pool, and I am glad I found this site, so far so good, the water has been perfectly clear and balanced except for the TA, which nobody really notices, so I get the added benefit of looking good.

Oh, and today, our water was 95, to hot for me though, had to turn the heater down. lol.