PDA

View Full Version : Best Use of Shut-Off Valves

Steveromo
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Need opinions from experts. My pool was built with 3 shut-off valves, two T-Bar plunge types and one ball valve. The Ball was at the exit of the skimmer, the T-bars were at the entrance and exit of the pump/filter. I'd like to eliminate both plunger shut-offs (getting harder to close - concerned about the stress on the connections with each close and open.) and go with JUST two ball valves... one at the skimmer exit and one at the inlet connection. Of course, at the inlet I'd have to use a 90 degree PVC turn so that the valve sits vertical to eliminate strain on the plastic inlet threads. With this setup, I could completely shut off all flow in and out of the pool when doing any maintenance. After shutting both valves, only the water in the hoses and filter need to be drained (about 8-10 gallons max.) I feel this is the safest most efficient use of shut-off valves. What are your thoughts -- any concern about no shut off in/out of the pump/filter housing? Thanks!

swimdaddy
03-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Not an expert, but....

The valve at the skimmer does the same thing as the valve at pump, so you could pick one and eliminate the other (I moved my skimmer valve to the pump because it was easier to get to). Can't see why you would need one after the filter. Having one at the return has been VERY handy for me for occasional maintenence on a solar heater.

I also have one between pump and filter to regulate flow.

I will say ball valves that come apart act great as quick-connects for easy tear down and maintenance. Hope that helps!

Steveromo
03-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks! With so little response, let me re-phrase. If I install a ball-valve directly at the eyelet connection on the side of the pool, I am concerned about the strain on the threads from the weight of the valve and the vibration caused by the water flow. So I intend to make a 90 degree turn down so the valve is vertical. My greatest concern is always that the hoses can come off their fittings because of the vibration caused by the flow of water. This threat is even greater when attached vertically (gravity!) instead of horizontally. Feedback on this concern (and pictures to support) greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK
03-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Could you not install some pipe support clamps rather than adding a 90 deg and therefore a bigger restriction into the flow circuit? If the vibration you mention is of concern I would say other parts of your system need examining, you don't say too much in your signature about pump size or filter size.

swimdaddy
03-21-2016, 11:31 AM
I have a 90 deg at my return and I have no issues, I am sure you will be fine. The above advice is good so limiting restrictions to flow is wise, in my system this is the only 90. Sorry, no pictures as I am at work.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK
03-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Now this could go horribly wrong Swimdaddy, so please take it as a discussion not a criticism.
With a 1.5hp pump and only an 18" filter a 90 deg in the return line may actually help slow down the flow a bit in your case which will aid the filter in removing the dirt etc better. I am all for saving electricity and therefore hard earned income so I try to avoid all 90 deg elbows, if an elbow is used I usually replace that with a 90 deg bend. I get away with using only 0.08 Hp to run a 12000 gallon pool.

swimdaddy
03-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Totally with you, purchased my pool BEFORE I knew anything about pools, and I still don't know much but am constantly learning. Until my pump wears out and I can look into getting a better one, I use a valve between my pump and filter to regulate the filter pressure for better filtration, which works pretty good. I am also "kinda" looking for a bigger filter tank that I can put my current hayward valve on.