PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a Heatpump for Spa heating?

CountryBumkin
01-07-2016, 09:01 AM
My pool has a 120K BTHU RayPac heatpump for the main pool, and a 400K BTHU Jandy propane heater for the spa.

Both units need to be replaced (the heatpump no longer has refrigerant in it, and the spa heater is old "pilot light" style and no longer has a propane tank).

I am thinking of replacing the just the HeatPump. And replumbing some to then use Heatpump for spa heating too.

The HeatPumps I'm looking at have dual thermostats (one for pool mode, the other for spa mode).

I'm wondering how effective the spa heating would be with just 120K BTUH.

When the Jandy spa heater was working, it would heat the spa up to 100 deg in about 30 minutes. If I was to go with a HeatPump for the spa would I now have to wait 2 hours for it to heat up?

CountryBumkin
01-07-2016, 11:24 AM
I've been researching this idea, and have come to the conclusion that it is not very practical. A "good sized" pool Heatpump is said to raise water temperature 1 degree per hour. That means it would take 20 hours to go from 80 degree water to 100 degree.
So I will replace the gas sap heater with a gas heater - when time and money allow.

FormerBromineUser
01-10-2016, 12:02 AM
I saved for a year and a half to buy my new heater. Kept wondering if it was worth it, but, oh yea! I received great customer service from poolsupplyworld, btw.