PDA

View Full Version : Going below freezing: should I run the pump

Whetstone613
11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
I have an AG chlorine pool, and it's going down to -6℃ (21℉) tonight and I'm not ready to close it yet. Should I run the pump to prevent damage from freezing?

swimdaddy
11-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Yes. Below is a thread where Mark explains what to do. Not sure if it shows up as a link. You can always search this forum using the search box at the top right. If I may, why haven't you closed yet?

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/26295-Pump-operation-during-freezing-conditions

Whetstone613
11-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I read that actually, but it was talking about Texas, and I live at least 10° north of that (maybe 15°). Also, I'm wondering if it considered which is the lesser of 2 evils: running a pump at that temperature or concerns about freezing at that temperature.

swimdaddy
11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Freezing is freezing, I would think.

If the pump is running, the water would not freeze under normal conditions, just like running a faucet to prevent your pipes from freezing in your house. The pump will also generate its own heat. If you cannot winterize now, running your pump through all the pipes and fittings is the best option. However, winterizing is not that difficult, and the longer you wait the colder it will get.

FormerBromineUser
11-17-2015, 09:42 AM
I agree with Swimdaddy. Protect your pump and pipes from freezing.

I haven't closed yet either... Working on it though.

Whetstone613
11-17-2015, 10:53 AM
You'd be surprised at how difficult it is to get this stupid thing closed. Every damn time I have trouble disconnecting the hoses, and I've already drained the pool, so there's no hope of running the pump, it's going below freezing that night, I panic and just about tear the skin off my hands trying to get them off!

swimdaddy
11-17-2015, 03:31 PM
I am with you, especially in the cold. Nothing worse than sticking your arm in the freezing cold water either. That is why I have tried everywhere I can to go to quick release fittings, they usually can be loosened by hand. Some strap wrenches or filter wrenches help too, and some elbow length rubber gloves for reaching in the water.