PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to get balance

reneep
06-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I am fighting very high CYA numbers. When I started the pool company reading was 192. I have drained about 4 inches of water off 3 times and purchased a drops test kit. Todays readings are listed below. Please give me guidance as to what to do. When I tested the CYA after the second refill it was down to 100. I have not tested after the third refill. I have had the pool for 6 years but have always just taken the water to the pool store and followed their directions so really, I am just learning to manage the chemicals. I have I think I may need to add bleach to raise the free clorine? The water looks and feels great. I do have a staining problem and will treat with stain out or something similar once I get the balance correct.

Thanks for you help. I have spent a lot of time reading and you guys do a great job of simplifying all of this and do not seem to tire of newbie questions. I am glad I found you all!

CL 4
TA 170
Ph 7.6
Hardness 0

Bleach=Chlorine?
06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey!
Yeah you will want to bring that Cl up to the recommended level for a CYA of 100. Below is Ben's Best Guess Chart which is a handy reference. So the level you want to shoot for is between 8-15ppm until that CYA drops below 90. Regular 5.25% bleach will raise 10,000 gallons of water 5.25ppm CL so if you want to post the gallonage of pool we can estimate dosages otherwise download Michael's bleachcalc program (search bleachcalc) for dosing.

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

reneep
06-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I have 10,000 gallons.