PDA

View Full Version : On/off and hi/low speed timer scheduling suggestions?

mitchryan912
07-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

Just finished up installing my Intermatic T10604R system today, and I made a guess at turning off the pump at 9pm and turning it back on at 7am. As far as speeds go, I put it at a 2 hour shift in the morning and a 2 hour shift in the evening on high speed, with the rest on low.

Any other suggestions as to what works for your pool?

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK
07-25-2015, 03:31 AM
What does the 2 hours on high speed achieve?

mitchryan912
07-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Skimming the surface, 2x per day.

CarlD
07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
If you notice a difference, go for it. If you don't you're simply wasting $$$ on electric. Ironically, sand filters are usually MORE effective when run on low speed. Adding a touch of DE to your sand filter can improve filtration.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK
07-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Skimming the surface, 2x per day.
Not really needed, it just uses up electricity as Carl said and can push the fine collected particles in the sand filter out into the pool again.
It's not ironic, most filtration works better when you don't apply a pressure of 14PSI to force the dirt through it.
It's not an RO membrane filter which is where pressure is needed.

CarlD
07-26-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry but this is an absurd post. How do YOU know how effective Mitch's skimming is at low speed in Madison, Wisconsin when you're in the UK?
That is NOT what I said! I said if it WORKS, then go for it. Only if it doesn't work is it a waste.
Your filtration formula doesn't take into account the different sizes or types of filters.

I hate to say this, but if you continue to make blanket assertions like "most filtration works better when you don't apply a pressure of 14PSI to force the dirt through it" without supporting them I may have to take action. This is your second warning.