PDA

View Full Version : Pool Heat Pump - Servicing issues (Jandy)

Orion
07-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Jandy (now Zodiac) maintains a handy website to obtain parts and general troubleshooting. The problems is that general troubleshooting often does not point to a specific repair. Customer service hold times may exceed a half hour or more.

Jandy does maintain a list of local servicers, which is searchable by zipcode/region. However, the issue is that each servicer may or may not be licensed to work on Heat Pumps (as opposed to gas-fired heaters). The heat pump usually requires an HVAC license in case Freon may be the cause of the issue (to simplify matters).

The HVAC contractors do not service pool equipment, and the Jandy servicers are not equipped to work on heat pumps. So who do you turn to?

In my case, my fan relay burned out. The unit fires up on demand, but the fan remains idle. A local HVAC contractor came out and identified the failed fan relay (about $40 on Ebay and 5 minutes of work to replace). Now that everything fires up, I find the compressor shuts down after about 5 seconds. You can feel the air temp blow cold (as it should). No error codes are thrown by the unit. It simply waits another 5 minutes and tries again with same result. It could be low Freon, but the unit is designed to throw a code if that is the case.

I called the same HVAC company again to see if they can further troubleshoot the problem, and they now stated that they made a mistake by sending someone out in the first place. They refuse to look at anything that is pool-related.

I am stuck. The compressor works. If it needs a top-off of Freon (or equivalent), that should be a mindless activity for any HVAC contractor.
If the problem is another main board circuit module that needs replacing, I can find that and screw it on.

But nobody will touch it.

CarlD
07-23-2015, 07:04 PM
While an inexpensive HVAC test kit from Harbor Freight connect to and test your heat pump? I was able to diagnose and repair our SUV's A/C with it, for about $50.